G Gordon Liddy: Voice of unreason

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Nov 23, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/story.jsp?story=585368

2. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

4. tristan macrumors 6502a

What a nut job. The irony is that in any country without our freedoms, he'd be the first one up against the wall.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No he wouldn't. He'd be in government. You lot would put him in government, sell him arms, subvert his opponents and train his death squads.

And you'd appoint John Negroponte as Ambassador, to advise on the finer techniques of running a corrupt Police State so it stays open for business with US corporations. That is why he's in Iraq, isn't it?

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He already was! :eek:

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I used to listen to Liddy for several months, pre-9/11, around '99 and '00.

A local station carried two hours of his show (he'd usually just read the newspapers and do commentary on it during those particular hours) and I listened almost every day. The station eventually changed format and there were no others that carried his show locally.

I found him to be quite entertaining and not totally off his rocker; this piece seems a bit of a hatchet job.

Granted, he did have his moments of sillyness and bravado and it may have become more extreme since 9/11, but during the time I listened to him, I enjoyed his insight into certain things and his stories, as well as his love for proper grammar.

He was notably lacking in the partisan cheerleading department, quite unlike ANY other radio talker I've heard. He seemed to give very little allegiance to the current Republican party.

I viewed his sometimes odd ideas and demeanor as character quirks; I don't think he was quite as bad as the article here makes him out to be.
    Again, this could have changed in four years.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, I got a kick out of Liddy and his over-statements. My distaste for his show and some others is similar to my reaction to such as "Dr. Laura": It's not the host, it's the idiots who call in.

Liddy or Limbaugh, they're entertaining. I don't care if they're right or wrong; they make me laugh. And, sometimes, I agree with them. (Or, actually, I find it nice that young people agree with me on some issues. :D)

But, Wow! The strange creatures who feel compelled to call!

:), 'Rat

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

By their audiences, so shall we know them.

Most of these radio personalities are pretty creepy characters, and Liddy possibly the creepiest of all. They don't get over my entertainment threshold, possibly because I know lots of people don't treat them as entertainers at all, but as informers.

I walked into a place business yesterday where one of the employees had Limbaugh booming from a radio so loudly that we could hardly talk over it. Never mind that a great many people find him offensive (I think I would whether I agreed with him or not because I find egomania to be a really disagreeable personality trait). But imagine the thought process that goes into having this stuff force-fed to customers.