G.I. Held In Attack On U.S. Soldiers G.I. Held In Attack On U.S.Soldiers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by taeclee99, Mar 22, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

If these charges are true...this soldiers deserves to be hanged for treason:

(CBS)_An American soldier is among three suspects being held in connection with a grenade and small-arms attack that injured at least 16 U.S. soldiers at Camp Pennsylvania in northern Kuwait, reports CBS News Correspondent Mark Strassman, who is on the scene with the Army's 101st Airborne Division.

Eleven of the injured were hurt so seriously they had to be choppered out of the camp.

Strassmann said three grenades were rolled into three officers' tents at the camp. When officers ran from the tents, they were hit by small arms fire.

Three suspects were being held for questioning: two Kuwaitis who served as translators and an American soldier described as an engineering sergeant.

The American was found injured and hiding in a bunker. Asked if he was hurt throwing a grenade, Strassman reports the soldier replied, "Yes."

Separately, Strassmann reported, an Iraqi rocket fired at U.S. forces in Kuwait was destroyed by Patriot missiles launched from nearby Camp New Jersey.

The attacks on U.S. troops came as the American assault on Iraq gained steam.
    American and British forces besieged the southern city of Basra and pounded Baghdad with impunity.

2. macrumors 65816

alset

I just don't understand people turning on their fellow troops. If guilty, I want to see this fellow made into an example.

Dan

3. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Hmm. Sounds strange. I reckon all the details are not out yet, and they will clarify what really happened. Seems like it's got something more involved going on. Soldiers usually don't start shooting their own unless they've totally lost it.

4. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I saw this on FOX news just after it happened and everyone was trying to figure out WTF just happend and I thought I kept hearing wrong 'cause i was like, "It sounds like a US soldier was involved in the attack." If he was involved he needs to be exicuted immediately.

Lethal

5. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Wow

What do you know. They are reporting he was a MUSLUM american. Weird isnt it:rolleyes:

6. macrumors member

Re: Wow

What's the news source on that report? I can't imagine the military releasing the racial details of a suspect (I believe the military justice system operates on the 'innocent until proven guilty' preise?") when they aren't releasing name/rank/and other details. The camp information officer I just heard interviewed steadfastly refused to identify the individual being held.

I can't see why they would let that information out before the investigation is done, and/or the person formall charged, unless the intention is to create more racial tensions than already exist.

7. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

8. macrumors 6502a

drastik

Re: Re: Wow

Its being attributed to other military sources as the brass are not saying anything concrete. I saw it in the New York Times, not exactly a bashtion of anti-liberal politics.

9. macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: Wow

I've since seen it reported on CBS, and heard it mentioned in passing on CNN.

They're now reporting that one of those injured in the attack may have died as a result of his injuries.

It's truly sad, especially since the military is so much about trust in your fellow soldiers, and the officers guiding you.

10. macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

It's been mentioned that the soldier has an Arabic name, that was on MSNBC and on CNN. Neither said he was a Mulsim, but both said that his name is Arabic and they showed a picture of him.

On MSNBC the Time reporter said that many soldiers said that he'd been quiet and to himself lately and was recently reprimanded and was to be left in Kuwait while the rest of his unit was to head out for Iraq.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

The AP has just reported one soldier has died of his injuries. Terrible tragedy this is.

12. Nuc
    macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I say put him on the front line. Or better yet put him in a bright orange straight jacket with an American flag flying over his head. Then have him run towards Baghdad with a tape player saying "I have a bomb". That should take care of that situation ;)

13. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

You know what... he isn't muslim.

What the hell, i read a story that he did do that, but he is pure america. Not close to an arabic name or muslim, heck what the hell are they reporting that for?

14. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Sounds eerily like the initial reaction to the OKC bombing -- they reported right away on the news that they saw some Arabic garbed men running from the site before it blew and it turned out to have been an all-American fella.

Which brings me to this post:
    Please clarify what this post is meant to convey for me. If it means what I think it means, I'm sickened by it.

This sounds like one soldier just lost his marbles. It happens. The guy will be punished appropriately, I hope not by any of the cruel means suggested.

15. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

So you don't think he should be exicuted if he did roll those grenades into the command tents?

Lethal

16. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No. He'll be in a military prison for the rest of his life.

What does one more killing accomplish?

17. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Assuming he did roll those 'nades that wounded 13 and killed one (so far)...

What does putting him in prison until he dies accomplish? Besides forcing other inmates and guards to look at that piece of sh#t every day for the next 50 or 60 years?

If he did roll those grenades he needs to be convicted of first degree murder, attempted murder, treason and then exicuted. I do disagree w/the suggestion to hang him though. That would require more time and effort than he's worth. Dragging him around back and shooting him in the head sounds like a plan though.

IMO there is nothing worse a soldier can do than murder his own in cold blood. The depths to which this apperant action troubles and enrages me is beyond words.

Lethal

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I couldn't agree with you more. This bastard needs to be put out of his misery. What do you think costs less to shoot him or the rope to hang him with?

I say hang the bastard. Shooting him in the head is much too kind a punishment.

19. macrumors 604

iJon

i think we should tie him in a chair in a tent. and throw some gernades in there. this guy f***ed up and he will pay. let him say by to his parents and end his life.

iJon

20. macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I have lost all faith in humanity....

Not because an American soldier went crazy and attacked a few other American soldiers, but because of all the crap that's been spewing from the fingers of people on this thread. Do you people have any idea what you're saying?

Those of you who are automatically demanding for him to be brutally executed (before all the facts are known) are exactly the kind of people who keep Earth from reaching world peace.

I'm disgusted. As long as people yearn for the death of others (as many people on this thread are doing), the world will always be at war.

21. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: I have lost all faith in humanity....

ok mother teresa, should we slap him on the wrist. you dont just accedently drop some gernades in tents.

iJon

22. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: Re: I have lost all faith in humanity....

Nor do you accidentally drag "someone around back and shoot them in the head"

A killing is a killing and murder is wrong regardless of whether or not it's in revenge or in the name of justice.

The Old Testament says eye for an eye, but the NEW Testament says the old one is insignificant.

let me ask a question -- would YOU (those who seem so quick to judge and call for blood) pull the trigger on him? Would you gladly pull the lever with a smile on your face? Could you live with yourself if you did exactly what he did?

Why is it murder and treason (and this act is not the definition of treason) if he throws a grenade and kills one man, but justice if you throw a grenade and kill him?

"Whatsover you do to the least of my people..." applies to murderers and criminals as well as the meek and poor.

23. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Well

I think what the military does in this case is puts him up in a military firefight line. Its a line of marines, and he is out on a field, and he is shot with oh....probly 100 bullets.

Sounds right to me.

24. macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Also

Pseudo- You are saying that if someone were to kill your family, and you SAW him do it, you wouldnt do anything to him until he was legally convicted, and if then maybe nothing at all?

25. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Re: I have lost all faith in humanity....

i could probably give you a straight answer if i was in that tent or if my friend was killed in that. and it wouldnt be an accident if we drug him around back and shot him, it would be on purpose. he would be dishonorably discharged by attacking his own country and his life would be ended by us. this is life, you dont do it. letting people like this live is what causes problems in the world. i stand by my decision for this person to die for doing this to his own country.

iJon