G.I.'s Padlock Baghdad Paper Critical of U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Mar 28, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link
    woo-hoo! freedom!

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I find my vocabulary insufficient to formulate a commensurate response to such a...pathetically stupid situation.

And yet here I am typing.

3. beefcake macrumors 6502

I think this sounds a lot worse than it really is. If you're attempting to rebuild a torn country, and every other day countrymen who take your side and try to be the leaders of this movement are violently killed, don't you think it would be a good idea to make the general public didn't turn on these men as well? The Hussein loyalists can stay in business and under the radar even when they kill their own people because newspapers like the one shut down spread lies that the Americans are doing all the killing. I equate it to yelling Fire! in a movie theater. If the newspaper wanted to stay in business, it shouldn't have printed unsupported rumors that could only incite the people against the only government it has (American and Iraqi).

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

5. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, you're right. 'cuz if it's not stopped now, what's next? maybe a gov't using unsupported rumors to invade another country!

there's always two sides to the truth. who gets to decide? the occupiers trying to win a popularity contest?

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The front page story on this event in the LA Times this morning featured a Reuters photo of the lock and chain. The padlock has "American Lock Made in USA" and a US flag imprinted on it. Hard to miss the symbolism there.

Incidentally, according to a "senior coalition official:"

"This is not the first time. We've given them a chance to retract and clean themselves up," the official said. "But if they continue to spew vitriol, well…. "

Well, indeed.

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

It is martial law right now, and technically anything that threatens the chain of command of the controlling forces is fair game.

Let's hope the transfer of power is a clean and solid one so our troops can leave in good conscience.

Hee hee!

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The transfer of power does NOT mean our troops will be leaving anytime soon, good conscience or no.

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-mactastic

This is true. In all likelihood, the U.S. will prefer to establish a permanent base there, contingent, of course, upon the invitation of the Iraqi gov't.

Now I can see cause to argue about that point, but that would be borrowing trouble against tomorrow, another issue for another day.