G-mail on Firefox & Safari

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Jan 25, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

Is it me or is there a vast difference between the way my Gmail page presents in Safari and Firefox?? Seems I have more choices with Firefox. I checked it on my wifes ThinkPad and it appears in both IE7 and Firefox/XP as it does in Firefox/OSX. Why is Safari lacking???

Thanks.

Frank

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Google's GMail is still in beta. Aside from browser-dependent aesthetic differences, I am hard-pressed to see much difference between its appearance in Safari and Firefox. Perhaps you should be a bit more specific.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

only difference i can see is the in-page GoogleTalk IM function, safari doesn't have that,

is that very important to you? after all, u don't open gmail page for a lasting period of time anyway?:D

4. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I haven't noticed too much of a difference on Firefox, IE6/7, Camino or Safari. If I knew what you referred to, I would yay or nay this.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this is the difference i saw (only one), in firefox, u have this googletalk messenger, u can chat with ur buddies inside the webpage
    [​IMG]

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have the option to bold, choose size or font on Safari, also when I read a note, on FF, in the upper right hand corner of the box is a dropdown to choose Reply, Foreword, etc. I don't have that either on Safari. Little things, but I like them.

Frank

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I've noticed that too. Not sure why but I'm not fussed because honestly Safari has never really impressed me much, sorry to say.

Here's another one for you. In OmniWeb when you use Gmail it threads things a bit strangely. You'll get repeated RE: subjects, but only on the end of the person you are sending TO. I only noticed when I saw the quoted headers: "RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: _______" Weird.

Gmail is in BETA and it seems that it will be until the end of time. It's their excuse for being kinda dorky about things like this, I suppose.

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Gmail is in BETA and it seems that it will be until the end of time. It's their excuse for being kinda dorky about things like this, I suppose.<<

My OSX went down a few months ago and with it my OSX Mail, etc. I did have everything backed up, but I've stopped using the OSX stuff for now (until Leopard comes out<g>) and have started using Google stuff like Gmail, calendar, etc. I guess it can go down too, but it is nice to have stuff available to me wherever I am.

Frank

9. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

The personalized Goole page in Safari now sucks. Safari presents a question mark insteas of a "plus" sighn to expand an artcle. Anybody know a fix to this? Works fine in Firefox, BTW

10. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

It has little to do with Safari not working, yet almost everything to do with GMail and the google homepage not supporting Safari fully at the moment. It is not the fault of Safari, no matter how much the look of certain pages 'sucks' when you load them up.

Firefox and IE are similar in the way they display pages and work, where as Safari works differently in subtle but noticable ways. If you take a look also the beta for Hotmail through Safari, it clearly states that it hasn't been coded to take in full functionality for all browsers, except ofcourse IE.

That is why when web designers build a page, we/they always test what the page will look like under different browsers. The reason being different software will display html/code differently to others, so if you have any attention to detail, you build a site that looks uniform across all the major browsers.

Safari is fine, Google are just lazy to add proper funtionality for Safari in Gmail. This has to be one of the longest ever 'beta tests' ever.:rolleyes:

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, i got it, i didn't try too deep, yes, the richtext editor doesn't work in safari, anybody know if any richtext editor in other websites works in safari?

Im not quite sure about that, I can't say if this is because safari actually lack of something, coz thats possible.

Also, its hard for most webpage developer to test safari's compatibility since neither safari nor Konqueror has stable windows version.

12. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

All the AJAX elements load fine for me in Safari. But as it was said earlier IM does not work in Safari.

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

Currently, I can't access any of my Gmail mail using Safari, as the links aren't clickable. I can mouse over the individual emails but Gmail doesn't respond when I click the hyperlinks.

I guess I'll have to use a different browser (I've just installed FF).

EDIT - FF appears to be quite a bit slower when navigating pages, although I've only tried viewing Gmail so far. I even got a beachball when starting FF, which I hardly ever see when using Safari. :/

14. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

15. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I haven't really noticed much difference between Gmail in Safari and Firefox, but then again, I use Mail to send/receive mail. I only really go "into" Gmail to clean up all my mail or change the settings.

16. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yesterday all my fonts were fouled up in Firefox. It was a strange computing day. My Mac Book Pro really got hot, I had to shut it down for a few minutes, then everything was ok. I have no clue what that was about. Today, everything is back to normal. Strange. I've noticed a lot more quirky things with my Mac Book Pro than I ever did with my Powerbook. Don't get me wrong, I love the Mac Book Pro, but it really behaves strangely at times!!!

Frank