G"X" term term getting old?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mc68k, Apr 18, 2002.

1. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

When Apple first introduced their PowerMac line, the term was PowerPC. This included the 601, 603, and 604 series processors from Motorola.

The third gen or G3 when it came out was a relatively fresh-sounding almost futuristic term. G4 w/Altivec or velocity engine countered MMX in the PC world.

The GX term has lived a long and healthy life just like its predecessor PowerPC. If Apple really does have something "special" in the works, and is doing some major architectural changes, then I think it's time for a new term.

Any speculations? G5 is starting to sound so blah.

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

???

For all I care...Apple can call it the freakin mach-poop!

As long as it is faster, with a better bus, and....thats all...

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: G"X" term term getting old?

So is P4, for that matter... I would certainly like Apple to come up with something fresh (if it was as high-tech sounding as G4) but doubt they will until Intel abandons the Pentium designations. That's really the reason they went to Gx in the first place, or at least it seems to me...

:)
    pnw

4. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

Pentium is a direct descendent of the x86 series of processors. The name was changed from x86 because the processor clone companies were coming up w/#'s with some small variant of 80x86. And Intel could not patent a number.

Itanium is a fresh sounding term to a new processor not marketed by MHz.

If only Apple would come up with something newer than SDRAM or up-clocked G4's, then I guess they deserve to call it something new and mysterious.

But until then, the G4 is just a G3 w/Altivec. Hopefully, even if they do call it G5 it is truly a next generation machine and not a doctored up facsimile.

Pentium might just be going for bigger sounding numbers. P4 is not king in all areas.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

How about...

The PowerPC XP!!!!!

No?

Well - whatever you decide, be sure to give it a big number at the end, because big numbers make it sound futuristic and important and fast. I agree that the Gx seems old. I suppose the Motorola AssKicker 5000 will have to suffice. Wouldn't that be great? Keep in mind that the Power Mac and PowerBook are only so named because of the processors they use (PowerPC). With a chip like the AssKicker, they could be renamed to the Ass Mac, and the AssBook! I ask again - wouldn't that be great?!? Okay, I think it's past my bedtime.

Alex

6. j763 macrumors 6502a

what about the whole iApp and iHardware thing... Surely that's getting old too...

7. atodd macrumors member

8. iGav macrumors G3

I quite like G5, as I liked G3 and G4...... however I don't think that G6 and G7 have the same ring to it........ anyway by the time Apple and co get anywhere near releasing a G6 or G7 we should be on Quantum computers and also be able to beam ourselves anywhere in the world in seconds.......:p

The G5 only sounds old hat to us Mac daddies because some people have been going on about it since Apple released the f**king G4.......

"Oh it'll be released at MWxx 00, 01, 02, 03..... I know I have top secret Apple insider intel!!"

What worries me though is that when the G5 is eventually released, people will start complaining about it, and how they need to release the G6 :rolleyes:

But I'll side with MacAztec on this...... I don't really care either, as long as it's an improvement on an already great product!!! :D

9. atodd macrumors member

Actually, quantum computers don't give you the ability to teleport (using quantum foam). In "Timeline" (which I'm assuming you got that idea from) they compressed the data using the computer and teleported it using a machine that they themselves didn't know how to work.

Quantum computers will be cool. Using all 48 (how many is it?) quantum states of the atom, we give you a 32-billion processor Power Mac!

Introducing the Power Mac Q32000000000.

10. DavidOS macrumors member

Red Delicious

How about calling it the "Red Delicious" they could paint it red . . . your not laughing, don't you get it? apple, macintosh, red delicious?

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I vote for this new processor name...

Crainium!

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: G"X" term term getting old?

Blah? The only reason I can think that you're tired of it is that you're tired of waiting for the new machine. It doesn't matter what its called, Apple should just deliver it.

13. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: ???

Heh. You said poop. I like the mach-poop name. The new Powermacs with the MP processor. Heh.

And I too could care less about what its called. I mean, what's the G even stand for? I have never really cared much.

Matthew

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: ???

G stands for Generation

the G3 was their 3rd PowerPC, 601 was the 1st, 604 the second, then they started naming them G3, G4, and now G5.

Not exactly original, huh.

15. iGav macrumors G3

atodd

Aha I couldn't think of the word Teleport......

Luckily I do know what a Quantum computer is...... I was suggesting that by the time the G6 and G7 is out, it will be so far in the future that we will have Quantum computers and also the ability to have those little handsets and teleport oursleves any where in the world..... as it takes Apple that long to update their processor generations......

I was being ironic........:p

I still like the G factor........ there is nothing wrong with it, and it certainly sounds better than Athlon, Pentium, Hammer, Celeron etc etc.......

They sound cheesy!! :p

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: atodd

What really gets me is Pentium. That was Intels 5th generation chip, then came the Pentium II, which should have been named Hexium - if they kept with the format. P3 - Septium, P4 - Octium (which was used as a name of a super fast CPU chip in an X-Files)

Its all so stupid anyway.

17. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

Re: atodd

Codenames are cool and nerdy! The GX is so predictable and old. They need to come up with something else. Those Apple marketers are pretty sharp sometimes— I'm sure they could come up with something better.

I agree. Apple is all about originality. The linear number designations have gone on long enough and so has the iWhatever (even though that's cool because people liked it enough to copy the term).

18. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Re: ???

:D :D
    Nice responce!

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: ???

You forgot the 603's... :D

I vote that they put an X into the name... powered by the X1 processor... or a Gx (make the X superscripted over the G).

Personally, the best chip name that I have come across so far, and was actually in the market named such, is Thunderbird. That name has been used in car's, Indian myth (American Indian) as well as a bottle of rot-gut :D.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: Re: ???

Yes, Introducing the new Plutonium PowerBook from Apple, powered by the super fast Thunderbird chip. It doesn't need a battery, its so hot it glows....

Sounds like a bad SNL commercial.:D

21. ebound macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: ???

I know a friend who used to have a second generation PowerPC, and, on the inside of the case, the phrase "G2" was clearly marked in many areas.

Wonder why they just didn't call it the G2?

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ???

Actually, the thunderbird is an AMD chip... sheeesh. :p

How about powered by plutonium nyborg??? :D

Oh, my favorite SNL commercial is for 'colon blow' the breakfast with more dietary fiber then raw wood. :D

23. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think the G"X" thing could get a bit old...after a while I think it would be good to call them something different...

but what?! :eek:

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

actually...

the more I think about it...

the "G" factor technically points out which processor runs it...not the actual machine itself...

people have made it a household name to call it a "G3" or a "G4"...but the machines themselves (now anyway) do have names...
    Titanium PowerBook... (even though "G4" does follow the name)
    Quicksilver PowerMac... (and yet..."G4" follows this one too)
    the New Imac... (haven't paid attention to be honest)
    iBook...

well anyway...point is...it shouldn't depend upon which processor is in it as to what we call them...but unfortunately Macs have been branded I suppose...

25. PCUser macrumors regular

How 'bout the "PowerMac Epsilon" to signify that it has a fifth-generation chip inside?