G1-G6 Chart

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by agreenster, Dec 28, 2001.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Hey guys, things are kinda slow here at macrumors, so I thought maybe you would like to see what I stumbled on:

(you need Adobe Acrobat reader, which I assume everyone has)

Its just something to check out, nothing earth-shattering. Just trying to educate the masses, I guess.

Interesting though.
  2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    something to look at

yes it is something interesting to check out...

I've seen similar information contained in books on Macintosh...but not in a chart like this...

makes it much clearer to compare & contrast...
  3. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2001
    anyone else notice the G3 up to 450 MHz? What are we at now, 700? Anyone with some tech comments here?
  4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

...expected to see the g3 scale up and up and reach 1 ghz like i hope they will at mwsf

i know apple has had faster consumer processors than pro processors at certain times in the past like a few posters have pointed out and that's fine by me

if we don't get the lcd imac or the g5 this january 7th, at least let's get that psychological barrier breaking 1 ghz g3 machine so we as mac users could get that speed monkey off our back once and for all
  5. Hes Nikke macrumors member

Apr 16, 2001
    G5 not for computers?!

the G5 is suposed to be an 8500 series chip right? did you notice the note at the bottem of the page?

6. SubFredZero macrumors member

Dec 27, 2001

I"v seen this quote before... about 2 years ago. Can't it be that it is seriusly out of date ?

The G3 is now at 700 mhz en probably more with the new upcoming imac...
  7. fukuhela macrumors member

Dec 20, 2001
    Heard that before..

I read on a Danish mac-site a comment from a spokesman (don't know the correct title) from Motorola that it is true Mot are nearly ready with the G5, but that the processor wasn't ready for apple-computers - yet.

The G5 is intended for smaller devices like mobilephones etc. Since this mac-site isn't much into rumors, I belive it (unfortunately) to de true.

But this is like a month ago and i've tried to find the story again, but couldn't. It's like they have removed it from the site.

Are there anyone who can back me up on this story??

Happy new-year
  8. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2001

I've read on numerous pages that G5 are being used in numerous products but they are not ready to be used in G5's for quite a while.
  9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    G3's & G5's

It must be somewhat old...

G3's did go way past 450 mhz...

and what machines are the G5 processors being used in as we speak?
  10. joey j macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2001
    Re: G3's & G5's

eyelikeart> It must be somewhat old...

The file itself is dated December 1 of last year.

>G3's did go way past 450 mhz...

IBM's G3s did (CX, CXe?) Motorola's don't, as far as I know.

>and what machines are the G5 processors being used in as we speak?

This will prove to be interesting, given that Motorola has announced one (1) G5-class processor (the 8540) and even that is not going into production until the second half of the year.

Yes, that was sarcastic.