G3 233 beige DT backup problems..

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Akira, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Akira macrumors member

My dad wants me to backup his old G3 233 beige DT, so I wanted to hook up the G3 to my G4 with a cross-ethernetcable. But after booting the G3 I got an errormessage claiming that Appletalk couldn't be used on the ethernet port. What's all that about?

Anyway, before opening the G3 case I want to know if the G3 has a normal IDE harddrive that I can install in my dads G4 and making a backup that way? (I can't add anymore HDs in my G4 that easily, my dad's G4 only has one HD)

Thnx!

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

What software config on each machine? OS 8, 9, X?

Dan

3. Akira thread starter macrumors member

the 2 G4s both have X v10.1.5
    the G3 has OS 9.1 or .2 (I think...)

4. awulf macrumors 6502

I regularly connect my PM 7600 (OS 9.1) with my PM G4 (OS 10.2) using a crossover network cable.

There error that you experience usually occurs when the computer doesn't detect a network. Make Sure that the cross over ethernet cable does work. If it does, connect the computers. On the G4:
    1) go to Preference Panes, Click on networking, choose Show: "Built-in Ethernet", Click on the apple talk tab. Make sure apple talk is active.
    2) On the G3 activate AppleTalk in the the 'Chooser' (from the Apple Menu) and Go to the Control panel 'AppleTalk' And choose 'Ethernet'. Then go to 'FileSharing' Control Panel.
    3) On the G4 (In the Finder) in the menu bar choose Go>Connect to Server..., From there choose the G3 and and press Connect. The G3's HD will pop up on the desktop.

The Beige G3 uses an IDE HD that will fit into the G4, it has 4 HD drive bays, so you can connect up the computers that way as well.

5. Akira thread starter macrumors member

thnx awulf, I know how to connect via Appletalk, but Appletalk didn't work on the G3..

I'll open the G3 and put the HD in the new G4 then..

6. awulf macrumors 6502

One thing that have noticed on some macs, especially Performa 6360's, when their batteries run flat they won't connect via ethernet. And replacing the battery works.
    To see if the battery is flat set the time to the right time, and unplug the mac from the power point (for about 1 hour, to make sure). If the time is inaccurate when you plug the computer back in, then replace the 3.6v battery located on the motherboard.

•Other things that it could be, that the driver(s) maybe corrupt.
    •Something maybe wrong with the PRAM or NVRAM (if the beige has it), try reseting those
    To reset the PRAM hold down P-R-Command-Option when you turn on the computer, hold those keys until it chimed 3 times.
    To reset the NVRAM hold down the O-F-Command-Option when you turn on the computer. A white console will appear type in 'reset-nvram' enter, then 'reset-all' enter.
    •The ethernet port may be damaged, on either the G3 or G4, or the cross over cable is broken, so the G3 in OS 9 can't establish a connection via ethernet, and decides to use the Printer port.

Thats all I can think of

7. Akira thread starter macrumors member

Appletalk did switch to the printerport, but before I wanted to connect to my G4 I was able to use the G3's ethernet port to surf....

anyway, I removed the HD (damn that thing was hard to remove!) and put it in my dad's G4, copied the HD, and put it back in the G3.

I'm about to do a clean install of the G3 software.