G3 400 Mhz as a file server

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mail4asim, Mar 12, 2007.

1. mail4asim macrumors member

Mar 7, 2007
    Cincinnati, OH
    I see several G3 PowerMacs on sale at geeks.com for around 70 dollars. Has anyone ever used one of these to run OS X and use it as a file server in a Windows / Mac environment ?

Thank you.
  2. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

May 8, 2006
    The high desert, USA

I've not used one as a server but I have a g3 400mh machine that my secretary uses as a transcription (word processing) machine. I has a wireless card to talk to the network. It has been running without one freeze in 1.5 years. It's running panther with 640mb ram. I got it for $125. What an impressive old machine (8 years old.) I would imagine that it would work well as a server.
  3. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Jul 24, 2006
    Hollywood, CA
    For file serving, keep in mind that the PMac G3 has only 10/100 Ethernet and doesn't support drives larger than 120GB on the built-in controller. I have a 400MHz G4 Sawtooth, which should be nearly identical in CPU performance to a 400Mhz G3 for file serving, and I added a Firmtek PCI SATA controller, a 320GB SATA drive, and an Intel GigE card. It can sustain 35MB/s to a Core 2 Duo iMac, and the CPU is maxed out at that point. I don't believe the G3 can be upgraded to dual processor, although there are fast single-processor upgrades available.

Other than all of that, it's a great machine for a server. It has 64-bit PCI slots and you can fit 6 HDs in it if you take out the optical & zip drives, and the power consumption is very low for a tower computer.
  4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    Up until recently I was using a 500Mhz G4 as a file server, along with a Sonnet Tempo PCI card (which will be FS soon!) to handle the 4 extra hard drives. You shouldn't have any problems, though as noted above, it won't have gigabit ethernet. If you're not sending files to a bunch of computers at once, or don't have a gigabit router, you might not notice it at all, though.
  5. iBenzin macrumors member

Mar 9, 2007
    That G3 is more than enough to handle the job.
  6. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    I'm still using a G3/400 Powerbook as my main computer. With a gig of RAM, it runs os x Tiger pretty darn well. The processor is certainly up to the task of file serving.
  7. Angrist macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2005
    MI or NJ
    My 466MHz PowerMac is more than fast enough to run Tiger, iTunes, VLC, etc. RAM is very important though, a gig or more is almost a must for an older machine at this point.