G3/600 or G4/550

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by gregorypierce, Jan 30, 2002.

?

If you had a choice between the two processor platforms - which would you go with?

1. G3/600

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. G4/550

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. gregorypierce macrumors regular

Not to really get into the numbers game, but if you had a choise of buying an iBook with the G3 or the powerBook with the G4 - (assuming both at +/- $150 of each other), which would you go with?

2. ThlayliTheFierce macrumors regular

Powerbook, duh, there's really not much thinking to do here.

3. Six macrumors regular

Only $150 within each other? thats really a close gap.. but go with the titanium, you wont be sorry :)

4. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Okay let it rip on me I picked the G3 600...the reason I did is because I had the same choice when I got my iBook...to get the TiBook550 or the iBook600. At the time the TiBook was only a DVD ROM...this was a week before they added the Combo drive and there was a lot more then $150 difference in the two. I went with the iBook 50 more MHz, a Combo drive, and a lot lower price. What did I loose going that way...a larger screen (which is not a lot bigger now with the 14" iBook out) and the G4 processor, which I know is better then the G3, but I use my iBook for AppleWorks, IE, Email, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie. For me the G3 works well and for all I saved...it was not a bad choice

5. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

not a wise desition man, I guess the ibook is still nice neways.

6. palala macrumors member

hmmm

Well since you got a Mac, you really didn't lose...however I would have gone with the G4. If it was truly a $150 difference, then this is a no-brainer. You get a bigger, wider screen for starters. Second, Even though you gain 50Mhz with the G3, the power you have with the velocity engine in the G4 would more than make up for that. Almost every program you mention is optimized for the G4 and the velocity engine. I don't even think you can do transitions in iPhoto without a G4...not to mention that OSX runs much better on a G4. I would suggest that if you can cancel the order and get the TiBook to do that. Otherwise enjoy any Mac that you have as they are all better than the alternative.

7. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

I am superman!!! good luck with the mac dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. BubbaTAC macrumors member

good question

He raises a good question, and I would like ot hear more replies...imagine that the price difference is what we all know it to be. THe TI book is not that much larger, nthe drive is basically the same (whether it slot loads or not makes very little difference) and the ibook seems to be MUCH more robust, I have seen several Ti's suffer a lot from scrathing and flexing and simply getting gorss...even taken care of, but put in a sleeve to travel. The 14" ibook seems like a MUCH better deal, only difference being vido card and comparably clockec, but different core chips...so the questions is...
    Is the G4 better on real world things like opening IE and word?

I know it is better for running photoshp, which I also do a lot, but three minutes is very little difference from 5...

I am debating the same purchase

9. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

10. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Abercrombi:

I don't think you made the wrong decision... with the same choice - I would chose the iBook...

Why? The tiBook is significantly larger overall.... it certainly feels less compact. If I want a portable - I want it to be compact... the sort of thing I can toss into my bag or just grab easily...

If I was going to have a laptop as my _only_ computer - then I might reconsider... but I do have a desktopmachine as well.

arn

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Right. The Powerbook is mean for true-portability- a portable main computer.

The iBook is meant as a second computer... so it should be more compact.

irmongoose