G3/800

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Eckslusive, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

Hey is a G3/800mhz/384MB Ram good for basic usage of indesign and photoshop. sometimes intense, but usually not.
    is that alright?
    what would be the speed of that if it was a G4?

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: G3/800

I do light Photoshop work with my G3 800 iBook and it is fine. Not sure about InDesign, but I know someone who runs it on a 400MHz B&W G3, so that should run fine as well.

3. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

hey cool.

hey also...often when an iBook dies, what is it because of?...
    1) HD
    2) Logic Board
    3) Battery

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Logic board. Hands down. My old iBook had 3 different ones.

5. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I say battery, the two ibooks we have at the office have gone through three batterys in 14 months.

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think that depends on how they are used. People who let there batteries mostly drain before reconnecting them usually get better battery life. Also if you let the drain completely on occasion it could help too. Though there have been some real problems with batteries with the latest OSX updates.

7. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

if my computer is originally 500mhz, and i buy a 800mhz logic board, will the computer be 800mhz?

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Yeah I kind of have the same question...I have a real nice iBook 600 (750cx) combo...Is there anyway that a new 900Mhz logic board could be dropped into it? Or does this not fit or not include a processor? It would be nice to upgrade without throwing the case, monitor, HD, etc out. What would the cost and labor be? Is it even possible?

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

ok i think if you were really good with reapiring apples and oyu had all the necessary parts (hard to find for the iBook) and ALOT OF CASH the logic boards are very expensive so expensive its easier to jsut get a new iBoook. And lots of time you might be able to do it (very slim chance) but your better off just getting a new one. Your goign togive yourself a headache if you try to upgrade the iBook and probably waste a whole bunch of money.

10. RectaAcies macrumors newbie

I am almost postive you can't replace the logic board on a ibook 600 to a the new 900mhz board, because I tired soething similar. I had a bought an Ibook 700 at compusa about 2 weeks beore the new 800mhz models came out. So when they did come out I decided to make a few "burnt" pixles on the screen and royally screw it up so i could use the compusa warrenty I had and exchange it. But just to get my full moneys worth I tried to switch the board from my ibook 700 to my roomates ibook 600mhz model, no dice. The magnezium frame was completely different on each model, and even the screws that kept it together were somewhat different. So that was a no go, but we did switch the combo drives with no problem. And the next day i took the ibook 700 back and talked my way into getting thee new ibook 800, so it all came up roses. Hoped that helped

11. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you can. but we'll see when i change mine.

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Let us know how you come out.