Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaz50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2003
New York, New York
I have been trying everything possible to install Jaguar on my G3 AIO (500 MH with three 256M DIMMS and USB/Fireware PCI card). I have read elsewhere that others have successfully performed this operation. The internal HD is only 4G, however, I don't anticipate running much software from this unit and using as a "server" for some of my still very usable SCSI peripherals and as a USB printer sharer. Whenever I try to startup using the install disc the gray bitten apple logo appears together with the revolving bar. After a few seconds the screen garbles a bit and then freezes. I would appreciate any help that anyone might have. (NOTE: I have tried to use the Xpostfacto utility, along with removing the PCI card and extraneous RAM, none of which actions have been effective.)

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Why are you installing Jaguar? Is the system in question even supported? If it is, it only barely is. I'd reconsider it, probably not worth it.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Hey, a little in-house server is a perfectly legit reason to install X on a barely supported system.

And although it's pushing it, the AIOs are indeed supported by Jaguar (not Panther, though). I've gotten Jaguar running on a beige G3 266, which are the same age as the AIOs and share most of the same components, so it certainly should work if you've pulled everything that didn't originally come with it out and disconnected all the peripherals other than the keyboard and the mouse.

Do you have enough RAM, out of curiosity? I don't know what OSX does in extreme low RAm situations, but I don't imagine it's pretty.

Nothing else I can think of other than there's a hardware problem that 9 is forgiving of but X can't handle. You could zap the pram or replace the motherboard battery to see if that helps.

chaz50

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2003
New York, New York
I've zapped the PRAM many, many times all to no avail. I have seen the battery suggestion in other threads (replace the battery even though it seems to be working just fine, i.e. not forgetting the time when powered down). Is it possible that the internal CD Rom drive is too slow to load boot sequence fast enough. Is there any way to get around the requirement that the install CD must be the boot drive?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think the AIOs needed a firmware update in order to run Jaguar.

Edit: Also, I just found this:

You can only boot OS X from a "master" drive in the beige G3. This applies to hard drives and CD-ROM drives. If the CD-ROM is set to slave, you will not be able to install OS_X. If the hard drive is set to slave, you will not be able to boot from it.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by LimeLite
Why are you installing Jaguar? Is the system in question even supported? If it is, it only barely is. I'd reconsider it, probably not worth it.

It'll run it just fine. I run Jaguar on 2 of these, which are even slower than chaz50's. No problems at all.

I don't know about a firmware upgrade on these--I didn't do one.

If you have another Mac you can swap in your AIO's hard drive, install Jaguar, then put everything back. That should work.

EDIT: I'd suggest a new hard drive. I don't know if that's causing your install problems, but the old one is slow and old.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It might've been a different model that needed the firmware upgrade. I thought it was the all-in-one, but maybe not. But check that the CD drive is secondary master, not slave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.