g3 as home server?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bcrguy, Mar 3, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Sep 29, 2009
    Burlington Ontario Canada
    ok so im going to be getting an older g3 from a family friend who no longer uses it (she has 2 g5's, one at home other at her office) and i wanted to make it a server to transfer old files to to free up space and/or be able to access them from school.. its an experiment more than anything and i think it would be cool as well to transfer files between comp's in my house..
    i believe its a ppc seeing as its a g3 or g4 (the white/grey plastic one if it makes a difference) but i have no idea on specs..

anyone have any ideas on a way to go about this??
  2. macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    If it's white and grey then it is a G4. A blue and white Power Mac would be a G3.
    However.. the G4 range went from a Single 350 MHz to Dual 1.42 GHz.
    But, I assume your Power Mac is "dark" grey and white, which makes it max 733 MHz. See pic.

Which OS can you install? Well, you are stuck with Mac OS X 10.4.x (Tiger).
    You can get Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) running, but that would put too much of a strain on the G4.

If you run Mac OS X 10.4.x you can setup FileSharing on it. This way you can very easily let other computers (also Windows) connect to the G4 via the network, thus creating a File Server.

Attached Files:

• g4.jpg
      File size:
      95.6 KB
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 29, 2009
    Burlington Ontario Canada
    ok so would i then be able to run it as a headless system and remote login from my uMBP(SL) to change who can access etc (if i didnt want anyone else using it for x number of days).. and would i be able to log into it from school to send somthing directly home?

like i said this is just as an expirament (im in a first year telecom course) i really just wanna see and test what i could use an older system for.. i was linda thinking media center in the basement but well see..