1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

G3 B&W getting a Pioneer DVD needs your help!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by animpaul, Sep 29, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am tending to a friend's B&W G3-350 as it receives a Pioneer 105 DVD/RW upgrade. DVD movies will not play on the Apple DVD Player v1.1 We are aware that this model of Mac uses a hardware encoder to play movies and must use v1.1.

Q: Did removing the original CD/DVD Player take the encoding hardware with it? Or is that encoder on the motherboard after all and I just goofed on a driver/extension!?

ps- it plays CDs & records CDs just fine. Here is the error that haunts us at nights: "Apple DVD Player cannot open because the required hardware cannot be found"

Thank you!
    paul & bewildered crew

2. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

The encoder on the b&w g3 is a add on card to the video card. If you want to play dvd's on it you would either need teh add on card which will cost 70- 90 dollars on ebay or more since i havnt checked lately, or a video card capable of dvd playback such as the Radeon MAc Edition, Radeon 7000, Ati 128 something. I recomend teh Radeon Mac Edition or the 7000

3. macrumors newbie

Thank you applemacdude-

I will look into your video card solution as I know that is where encoders are found on today's technology. Though I have to admit the machine has been playing DVDs on an ATI 16mb PCI card using it's original DVD player. As soon as I plopped in the Pioneer it stopped being able to play them.

I have an idea that this early DVD-capable Mac is reliant on the original DVD player somehow, even if the encoder is located on that 16mb card. I'll look around, thanks!

paul

4. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

What OS are you using?

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

7. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

8. macrumors newbie

Applemacdude, u da bomb

Thank you for your fast and accurate replys.

We carpet bombed the B&W G3 with your suggestions and got the Pioneer to play DVDs. Funny enough, the Patch now allows us to use ANY version of Apple DVD player. Even v1.1 !

The night's reward was Tolkein's "The Two Towers", a hit for everyone- thanks.

paul :D !