G3 B&W Vid Card

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dr. No, Oct 12, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

I am thinking of upgrading my G3's video card. It has the original Rage 128 in it right now. It is in the PCI 66 slot.

My question is about the Rage 128 card- does it work in both 66 and 33 MHz PCI slots??
    If I replace it with a new Radeon, I was wondering if I could put the old Rage 128 into an older Power Mac.

2. macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

No!

I've tried it myself on my B&W, but it doesn't work. This card is only 66 mhz.

If you have a dvd built in, make sure when you replace your card that your new card also has dvd decoding. Else it's a nightmare watching dvd!

3. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Any idea why, Dreadnought?

Usually PCI grfx cards do work normally in 33 MHz slots... (how else would you be able to add a 2nd grfx card in a G4?)

I haven't tried putting the Rage 128 in another PCI slot, but I have done it with the Radeon 7000, and Voodoo 5 for example. These cards also work in older Macs like the 9600 and Beige G3.
    DVD playback will be a problem, if you put the Rage 128 in another PCI slot, that I do know.

But it is good to know if the Rage 128 only supports the 66 MHz bus, so please let us know!

4. macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Not all cards are compatible for 33 and 66 mhz. I also have a voodoo 3 in my B&W and that card supports both 33 and 66 mhz. I use that card for my second monitor and it has a (crappy) TV card onboard.

If I remember correctly (it was about 3 years ago) I found some info in Apple's knowledge base that the original vid card in your B&W only supports 66 mhz.

But you can always try it for yourself! It didn't harm my vidcard when I put in a 33 mhz slot.

5. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

DVD playback shoudlnt be a problem with the Radeon 7000 PCI.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

I'll probably get a Radeon 7000. I know the original Radeon is slightly faster, but I want the warranty and the documentation. And the 7000 has some features the original does not, like Video Immersion (correct me if I'm wrong).

The Radeon 7000 PCI Mac is a 256-bit GPU, right?

7. macrumors member

I actually tried the ATI128 from a B&W G3 in a 7300/200 and it did not work at all so that thing with only 66 MHz might be true. The 3dfx V3 2000 card did start in generic VGA mode without any drivers and worked well in 8.6 with the drivers. The reason for trying the ATI card was to get compability with OS 9 and OS X

8. macrumors member

Rage 128 worked for me in both 66 MHz and 33 MHz slots in my B&W - I was testing the slots when my Radeon 7000 went screwy (it was the Radeon - they replaced it). Worked in my Beige G3 desktop, too. I've never tried it in my 7300, though.