G3 Buying Advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by phonic pol, Nov 24, 2004.

1. phonic pol macrumors regular

I've searched the posts here and can't find a similar question being asked, apologies if I’ve missed any! I'm looking at buying a G3 Beige system with a view to running OSX and Adobe CS which I currently use on my G4 Powerbook. I've been using Macs for the past few years but don't have experience of the G3's. I understand there will be quite a drop in performance from my powerbook but I’m quite happy to accept this as long as the system is workable.

I would appreciate any pointers to do with buying a system e.g. what to look out for, what to avoid etc. What monitors and peripherals I can use would also be useful.

Thanks in advance for any posts.

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Photoshop is optimized for the Altivec, which is in the G4 only. It won't be fun running it on a G3. However, OS X should run fine with plenty of RAM.

If you want to upgrade to a new computer, look at some older G4 MDD or Quicksilver models. Both are fairly upgradeable and could possibly due what you want... but nothing beats out a G5 ;) :D

3. phonic pol thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, what does MDD stand for?

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Mirrored Drive Door. The generation after the Quicksilver models... I was being lazy :rolleyes: :eek:

5. zen_state macrumors member

would you be willing to spend an extra 139 US and make it a G4? here is a list of upgrades for that model that range from 139-397.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...I=#TimeFormat(Now(),+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades