G3 cd drive question...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ijimk, Oct 28, 2004.

1. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

Ok so I ham buying my sister a g3 300 mhz b/w model for x mas anf putting panthr on it. my question is the g3 is coming with os 9 on it and i have a g5 will the g5 discs install on the g3 ?

The g3 has only a regular cd drive and panther is on dvds so i saw this external player / burner would this work with upgrading the os http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2620263 ? The reason i am asking is because i am buying a family pack of tiger and instead of spending $130 on panther i could buy this cd burner for less . Can i do it? :confused:

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

As far as I know you cannot boot the computer from ANY USB device. It has to be FireWire. The B&W G3 only has USB 1.1 ports on it and it would take FOREVER to boot from anyways since it only transmits data at 1.5MB/sec (12mbps).

Second, sometimes those CD's or DVD's can only be used in a certain Mac Models. This isn't always the case, but sometimes is. I remember for example I tried to put my iMac OS 8.6 CD in my APS MacClone which was fully capable of running Mac OS 8.6 and it booted and came to a screen that said this CD is only compatible with an iMac and then I had to restart. I'm not sure if they do this anymore, but they might for certain models.

I think you should be able to use the Panther Upgrade CD. I think there is an erase and install option on the CD. Boot from the CD and go through it and somewhere I believe there is an option to do just an upgrade or an erase and install.