G3 Chip

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Spock, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I have a broken G3, I get the normal two LED's and nothig else. the LED Marked 650 is only on for a second and is fully It also comes on when I press the CUDA I have replaced the PRAM Battery Reset the Logic Board to no effect, my main thing here is is it mother board problem or is it the chip I dont want to by the Chip and it still not work or buy the Mother board and it not work as the computer is not really worth the money to buy a motherboard for.

2. jamall macrumors regular

People have ignored your post because it is poorly written and doesn't include basic necessary info. What model Mac is it, and do you hear the startup chime when you power up? Have you tried reseating all connected cards and leads? Tried booting from a different disk?

3. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

Sorry I was in a hurry it is a Blue & White I get nothing but lights and fans no chime nothing. I have removed every thing and still nothing I had it running once and tried to use Target disk mode with my iBook and it stopped working.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Removed PCI cards, RAM, IDE controller cables...? And still nothing?

Seems very bad news to me....

5. Spock thread starter macrumors 68000

Spock

Yep I even removed the Firewire modual and nothing I have reseated the chip. I dont get a beep or anything just the lights as I mentioned above.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i think its time we say a kind word for this mac. sounds dead.

7. jamall macrumors regular

It is definitely the motherboard or chip. Can you borrow a G3 ZIF from anyone to try it on the board? The other possibility is a dead IDE controller - unplug all disks and cables and try booting from firewire. Maybe you could take it to an Apple Reseller and get them to let you try a new ZIF. Is it possible to make a Macquarium from a B&W G3?

8. mkaake macrumors 65816

try booting into open firmware. i was working on a friend's 6116 CD (yeah, they're going for 5 dollars and less on ebay, but this is their only computer), and nothing seemed to be working.

it would turn on, spin up the hard drive, but never got past that. no video, and it didn't load the OS.

after re-seating the pram battery, resetting the mobo, and re-connecting everything i could, it still didn't want to boot. I couldn't even pull off a pram reset, cause the keyboard seemed to stop responding after the first 1/2 second or so.

so as a last ditch effort, i attempted to boot into open firmware (command option o f). it didn't actually start open firmware, but that combination suddenly made the computer start loading the OS. i had video, and within 30 seconds, i had one happy mac.

So give that a shot, even though i couldn't figure out what made it work. and it's been booting just fine since then...

matt

9. latenite macrumors newbie

Dead G3 B/W

Any update on the dead G3? My B/W is exhibiting the same problem. I disconnected all IDE devices, and cycled through each RAM chip and cannoted get the machine to boot. It powers up, the LEDs on the motherboard light up, but the screen remains dark. I'm looking for ideas. Thanks