G3 for video ?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by toddfreeride, Jul 29, 2006.

1. toddfreeride macrumors newbie

hey all, first post. but reciently I've been watching G3 macs go for really cheap. I need iMovie and iDVD. I'm really struggleing to get about 7 videos done for my class and my Microsoft pile isnt working worth crap. the knock off "MovieMaker" from iMovie HD is horrible. I was wondering do the older macs come with iDVD and iMovie or would I have to buy the software. I've created movies useing iMovie and iDVD also with Final cut studio. but I've never owned a mac, so please excuse my dumb questions.

-Thanks;)

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i can't imagine that a G3 is the best choice for video editing..

3. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

G3 will take you forever to edit, if it doesn't crash on you first. If your windows PC has a decent CPU try Avid Free DV, much better than movie maker and iMovie and it's free!

The older macs probably do not have iLife bundled with them, you'll probably have to purchase it seperately.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get a cheap dual processor Power Mac G4. Failing that a Mac Mini G4/Intel.

5. toddfreeride thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, well I was looking to go cheap. I just dont have the $$$ to dish out right now. how much do the G4's go for ? my friend was just going to sell me his G3 for $85.00

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Which G3 model? $85 for computer to run iMovie is low balling. You might be able to pull off iMovie '04.

7. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Seriously, editing on a G3 is going to be frustrating, either opt for a G4 PowerMac (at least 667mhz) which will cost between 100-300 dollars. If you do get a G4 make sure you have at least 512mb of RAM. You might have to purchase iLife seperately, if you don't want to pay for it get Avid Free DV like i said in the previous post (runs on windows and PPC macs)

Can't afford a G4, use Avid Free DV on your PC.

8. toddfreeride thread starter macrumors newbie

9. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

iMovie, GarageBand, iPhoto, iDVD... You cannot buy iMovie or iDVD seperately they are all part of the iLife suite.

10. toddfreeride thread starter macrumors newbie

any idea of how much it would cost ? I do know that my friends G3 has iMovie on it, but not so sure about the others, such as iDVD.

11. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

12. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

iDVD and Garageband REQUIRE a G4 cpu......as do current versions of iMovieHD & iPhoto, but the real old versions (2.0) that were/are bundled with OS X will run on a G3, just slow as cold molasses in the artic circle :p

13. generik macrumors 601

generik

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Avid Free DV doesn't output MPEG-2, so you can't burn your completed movie to DVD. A minor limitation there. :(

15. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

True, but you can use TMPGEnc to convert to Mpeg-2, (that feature is available for 30 days on the free version). Or you could export to your camcorder, recapture in MovieMaker and export from there.

16. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

I believe a G4 or higher is required for running iDVD, and if it did run it would be hours upon hours waiting for it to encode the dvd ready for burning, and you would have to buy a external or internal DVD writer, as none of the G3s macs came with a superdrive

17. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I've done a little video editing in iMovie on a 800MHz G3 iBook (not sure what version of iMovie :eek:). The end product was a 15-20min video. All I can say is: be patient.

It works, stability is so-so (but never lost any work, but had a fair few crashes), usability is quite acceptable... but plan a real long coffee break for when you export/encode the video. :eek: :p

I definitely would *not* recommend a G3 for this kind of task. But if you're on a really, really tight budget and are really, really patient, it will work.