g3 freezing...help!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tctc, Jan 21, 2003.

1. tctc macrumors newbie

hi guys
    i have a macG3 which every 4-5 minutes 'freezes'
    the mouse cursor still moves around as usual, but you can't open anything, click anything, etc... and then 45 seconds or so later, everything will be back to normal.
    and if you have double clicked a shortcut, etc. then when it 'de-freezes' it will carry out that action.

this is mighty annoying as it happens frequently when using any application.

any ideas on what might be happening and how to rectify?
    i have set the virtual memory to default.
    there is 6gb of HD, with 2.3gb available.
    virtual memory:
    997MB available on disk
    256mb available built-in memory
    257mb selected virtual memory

thanks!

2. tctc thread starter macrumors newbie

3. cubist macrumors 68020

So the machine is looking at 'something else' and finding something which is taking some of its time. Check into nonessential things, for example:
    (a) turn off file sharing.
    (b) turn off hotsync in palm desktop.
    (c) here's a good one: put a floppy in the floppy drive and a cd in the cd drive (media in all drives).
    (d) turn off appletalk.
    (e) try rebooting without extensions (hold shift during boot).
    There was another one I can't remember, had something to do with serial ports.

Anyway, once you find the culprit, leave it off and turn everything else back on. BTW that is a very nice computer you have!

4. tctc thread starter macrumors newbie

i think thats pc clone's computer...mine is a g3...

anyways, im gonna go try those things now!

fingers crossed!

5. tctc thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, it would appear that the extensions / hold shift in reboot thing has worked!!
    so dont know where the problem was...

only thing is now,
    everything (text, icons) has gone BIG !!
    ive looked in control panel, but cant seem to find anywhere to change the size of things to make them smaller (windows, text, shortcuts, etc.....basically everything on desktop)

any ideas?

6. tctc thread starter macrumors newbie

NNNOOOOOO!!
    the shift / rebooting / extensions turn off hasnt worked!!!

is there a support number i can call (in the UK) or something?
    im getting hacked off with it, as you can be doing work for a couple of minutes, then everything stops (apart from the mouse) for about 45 seconds and then goes back to normal.

it's SO frustrating!

7. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

sounds like a network thing. like something accessing your ethernet port.

8. tctc thread starter macrumors newbie

would a network problem be possible if it is not networked / connected to the internet (at the mo)

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Couldn't be a network issue if you still had the problem after starting up with the extensions off.

Try resseting the P-Ram. Restart the computer and immediately after the startup chime hold Apple-option-P-R. The computer will chime againg hold it until the computer chimes a total of 4 times including the initial startup chime. Then let go and the computer will start up normally.

Do you have any external devices connected?

10. dmilla_1 macrumors newbie

I would try the following in addition to other suggestions (which are all good ones):

1. As suggested earlier in thread disconnect any external devices (i.e. only monitor, keyboard/mouse, and power cord connected), does problem still exist?
    2. If so, Boot from a CD (Install disk etc). Open SimpleText and type a bit, save, re-open etc (i.e. use the program a bit) see if the problem still exists? If problem is still there it could be a hardware thing (i.e. bad sector/block on drive etc) While booted from CD run DiskFirstAid see what you get.
    3. If number 2 seems to "solve" the problem...start with the basics. Re-boot again off of a Disk Utility CD (Norton, TechTool, or the like). Run the normal diagnostic stuff, and make note of any problems. Be sure to have the Utility "Fix" all problems and save the report. (I know this sounds basic, but Norton has fixed similar problems for me in the past...incorrect volume info etc).
    4. After trying all of the above, give things another shot and let us know what you find...

Good luck and be patient.

11. tctc thread starter macrumors newbie

indeed, i won't get stressed, there are more important things in life :)

right, i've tried:

turning off extensions
    re-setting p-ram
    disconnecting all peripherals

all to no avail.
    i've just noticed that problem is guaranteed to occur when i open up an application (certainly when open quark)...

any ideas?

12. cubist macrumors 68020

Sounds like Disk First Aid time. Turning off virtual memory makes the freeze stop temporarily.

13. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

OS 8.6? Thats getting on abit now. If you can I would upgrade to OS 9.2.2 or even Mac OS X 10.2.3. OS 8.6 was an ok operating system but OS 9 is far better (even though its still very buggy compared to OS X)

Some big improvements to Virtual Memory were made in OS 9 and later versions of classic. Try turning it off and see if it makes a difference. If this helps and you can't live without Virtual Memory, try RAM Doubler by connectix. Many people found it much more stable than VM on pre-OS 9 systems.

14. tctc thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, i have worked out how often this 'freezing' problem occurs...
    every 4mins36secs it will freeze for 28secs.

like clockwork, you could set your watch by it.

15. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

How well is and has your system clock been keeping time? I'm wondering if maybe your internal clock battery is going dead.

16. tctc thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i narrowed it down some more....

it seems to be when i open quark that the problem occurs.
    even once ive closed the program...
    but ive used the computer with no prblems when i have opened quark.

17. dmilla_1 macrumors newbie

Try trashing Quark preference file (if you haven't already). Keep in mind this does not reside in your System/Preferences folder, it actually resides in the "Quark App" folder: in Quark 3.x and 4.x it floats out with the app and is called "XPress Preferences"; Quark 5.x it resides in a "Preferences" folder within app folder (you will notice several pref files here...trash the lot, they will re-generate).

Also make sure that "Quark Link" is not active (annoying little thing in Q4 that allows Quark to access Quark web site, judging by your hang ups this could be the culprit...i.e. Quark trying to get out to the internet and having difficulty [firewall, incorrect internet settings etc]) In Quark 4 this can be done by going to "Utilites-QuarkLink", click no. Or the best way....is to de-activate the QuarkLink extension totally using Quarks extension manager under Utilities. Don't think this existed in Q3.x...not sure about Q5.x

Seriously doubt that either will solve the problem.....baby steps...:) and process of elimination. Surest bet may be to nuke all Quark related goodies and re-install (check for any updates)....and see what you get.