G3 iBOOK 800 MHZ HELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by KitKat, Aug 23, 2006.

1. KitKat macrumors newbie

Not sure if you can help me here as i am new to mac and i have just got this ibook and i can not get the screen to come on when i turn it on, it makes all the sounds and you can hear the hard drive running but the screen remains black. I managed to get it on once and the sreeen is going crazy like the pixels are breaking up.

Not sure what this problem is so if some one has any ideas could you please let me know.

Thanks in advance

KitKat

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sounds like it could be a bad logic board although there are other components that can cause this behaviour. Where did you get it from? Can you take it back? :)

3. KitKat thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it from ebay and i dont think that it can returned to the seller i have tried contacting them and they are not answering my emails.

Anyone else here know what it might be and what it would cost to get it fixed?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

See if you can get a free quote from an authorised Apple technician however I have a feeling it might be best to cut your losses. Replacing the logic board can be pricey and the problems may carry through to more than just that component. There's not terribly much I can do via a forum other than to tell you to get it looked at. Sorry. :eek:

5. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I have heard that if you call customer relations at apple, and are real nice (or give them a real sob story) that they will replace the board for free, even though the replacement plan expired in March 2005. Its worth a shot.

On a side note: did any ibook G3 logic boards not break? It seems like everyone with an ibook g3 had to deal with this problem.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've got a 500 MHz iBook still running strong after five years...no problems at all with it. **knocks on wood**

And I'll concur that it unfortunately sounds like a logic board issue...probably not worth the repair at this point. See what you can do with the eBay seller...