g3 ibook 800?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by negatv, Jul 26, 2004.

1. negatv macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2004
    Does anyone have anything positive/negative to say regarding the g3 ibook 800mhz? I'm contemplating buying one (~$600-ish). It's pretty loaded as far as ibooks go (airport, ram, etc) but have heard some bad things about the g3 ibooks.

I realize it's not going to be the fastest mac on earth, but im a pc/linux user for the most part, and this will be my first mac in a long time (last was a quadra 630).

My only thoughts are that I will like osx alot, and will want to upgrade to current hardware... but if i dont this will be much cheaper for now, than what I really want to buy from apples site. :)
  2. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    If you can get one for $600 and with an Airport card in it then do it, as that is half of what you will spend for a new one. HOWEVER, if you are going to upgrade it with new hardware, then I would just buy a new one or look for an 800mhz G4.

Also what do you plan to do with the computer? If you are going to do basic things like internet, email, aim, itunes, etc etc. Then I should think a G3 will be more than sufficient.

I just bought a G3 iBook with 600mhz on it, I will let you know how I like it when it comes.