G3 iBook: Anybody Have Multiple Logic Board Replacements?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Horrortaxi, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

My 700mhz iBook is 11 months old and I just got the display issues that indicate the ever popular logic board problem. The computer has been sent to Apple for repairs and in 7-10 days I should have it back. I feel lucky that this happened before the warranty ran out. I've heard a few stories about people needing the Logic Board replaced multiple times. What have your experiences been with replacement logic boards? Please post, epecially if your 1st logic board lasted. You tend to only hear the worst cases on message boards.

The reason I ask is because I still have a little time to buy AppleCare. If I'm likely to need this repair again within 2 years I'll get it.

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

First iBook:
    3 Logic Boards, 2 Hard Drives

Second iBook:
    2 Logic Boards, 2 Hard Drives

Current situation:
    iBook broken, will not get power from AC adapter (see thread in this forum)

Current emotional status:
    Pissed at iBook G3 line, and at Apple for not willing to admit the iBook G3 has problems.

3. pilotgi macrumors regular

My 800Mhz iBook is 13 months old and the first problem I had with the display is yesterday. It was on my lap and I picked it up and the screen got lines across it and the screen started flickering. For the next few minutes it went from rolling flecks of colors to the image coming back almost normal.

My cursor disappeared so I rebooted but the reboot hung so I rebooted again and the screen stayed dark. Next day I turned it on and it worked fine until I moved it. I didn't lose the screen this time but I did lose the cursor. This time when I rebooted it came back fine.

I'm not sure if this is a logic board problem or the "wires thru the hinge" problem, but it's not under warranty.

Anyone know what Apple is charging to fix this?

4. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

2 times

I had it replaced three months old, then 3 months later. It has been OK for the last 6 months, and I gave it to my mom. I think if you pick it up with one hand a lot it will shorten the life of the logic board. From what I have hears the video chip is at a vulnerable place on the the logic board and is vulnerable to bending. Get applecare you will not be sorry.

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

We replaced one ladies logic board twice, power supply 3 times, screen once, and CD drive twice. Then after the second logic board and third power supply we asked her about her home wiring. Turns out its not so hot, so we sold her one of those portable one socket surge protectors and no problems since:)

6. pilotgi macrumors regular

I'm quoting myself here to find out if anyone knows the answer to these two questions.

7. mstecker macrumors 6502

Just to point out another experience ...

I've had a total of four different "ice" iBooks - 3 G3s and now a G4. I've never had the slightest problem with any of therm (other than the nagging need to keep selling them when newer revs come out).

8. Horrortaxi thread starter macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

My paperwork from Apple says $280 if it wasn't under warranty. Maybe that's the cable rather than the logic board. My symptoms sounded just like pilotgi's. Leo Laporte's iBook had the motherboard go out a few months ago and he says he was quoted somewhere around $700 (out of warranty).

mstecker, maybe you don't keep your iBooks long enough to have problems. How to the people you sell them to get along? :)

9. mstecker macrumors 6502

I had one (a 700mhz non-translucent) that failed on the buyer a few months after I sold it to him. Is it just me, or does it seem like the last few G3 batches - after they changed from the clear plastic to the white plastic - had the most trouble?

10. Paladin macrumors member

My first logic board went out at 10 months. The second went two weeks later. Finally, the third went out two weeks ago (18 months). Thankfully, I have AppleCare because I also had to replace both a hard drive and an AC adapter along the way. Next time, the people at AppleCare said they would replace the computer. Since Apple has a history of using refurbished parts, I would suggest buying the AppleCare. Sorry, but chances are that it will fail again in the next two years.

11. pilotgi macrumors regular

Can I still buy Applecare for my iBook even though it's 13 months old?

12. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Sorry, Im afraid you can't. Applecare has to purchased within one year of the origianl computer purchase date.:(

Just pray that nothing goes wrong with your machine.