G3 iBook & Facebook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 4surewingnut, Aug 17, 2009.

1. 4surewingnut macrumors newbie

Aug 17, 2009
    I just got the ibook. It has 600mhz, 640ram, 20g HD. OS 10.1 loaded on it w/ explorer 5.1. When I went to the facebook login page there was no text only the map and people icons were displayed? As well as I tried logging into yahoo mail and was prompted to download safari, firefox ect... After several failed attempts at both safari and firefox I'm getting frustrated! And finally some web pages I come across do not display properly including Apples start page. Their images and text are overlapped and some of their buttons don't work? HELP!!
  2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

Mar 7, 2007
    I don't think that version of IE supports, well, anything.

You need a newer browser ... and a newer OS. That machine will run 10.3 quite well. Facebook might still struggle a bit on it, though.
  3. ChocolateJesus macrumors member

Jul 3, 2008
    No way man, I ran a G3 @ 400mhz and it ran everything web-related quite well, just don't bother with flash. My recommendation is:

Do a clean install of 10.4.

That is all.
  4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

Sep 28, 2008
    Yikes, even Firefox 1.5 requires OS X 10.2

10.1 honestly isn't going to let you do very much at all. Time to find some retail disks for 10.3 or 10.4 =\
  5. randystand macrumors 6502

Jun 11, 2009
    I got a G3 running OSX 10.3.9 Panther. It runs Facebook fine. At first i couldn't log in on Safari so had to download Opera, and it worked fine on there but then i did some update on Safari and facebook works fine on it now.