Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewdespair

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2003
Buffalo NY
Hey Everyone, I posted this at the end of a thread in the "For Sale/Trade" section, and I think this is a better place to put it!

I was offered a G4 Quick Silver 800Mhz almost at par for my iBook.. I am wondering if it is a worthwhile trade.. That is to say, will I notice a huge difference, or should I save up a few more hundred (ie. Seven Hundred) and trade it in for a New PowerMac G4 1ghz?

Now the main reason I am doing this is due to the fact that I am in fact a switcher, and I need to be able to run VirtualPC on my Mac to do some work oriented stuff, and the iBook just Crawls in VirtualPC (Running XP Home)

Will the 800 be fast enough? Or should I consider a wait for the 1ghz?

I can buy a 1Ghz Sonnet card for under the $700 difference, but would it be as fast as the newer DDR Macs (I think I answered my own question, but I will chuck it out to you pros )

Thanks for your help everyone!

drewdespair

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2003
Buffalo NY
Well, I figured as much.. But would it be silly to assume that VPC would run better on a G4 800 Sans G3 800?

Thanks for the input!

Drew

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by drewdespair
Well, I figured as much.. But would it be silly to assume that VPC would run better on a G4 800 Sans G3 800?

Thanks for the input!

Drew
No it would not be silly....
It will automatically run better, but put as much ram as you can afford in it. Also, XP in VPC is slow even on a dual 1.42 with 1 gb of ram. A great way to increase speed in XP is to turn off the eye candy.

I hope that helps :)

I have never used XP so i cannot really tell you how, but that is what I have picked up, the eye candy thing.

-tazo

drewdespair

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2003
Buffalo NY
Which now brings up the second question then. Is it worth the extra 600+ dollars for the G4 1Ghz with DDR? Or should I just sit back on the even trade for a G4 800Mhz with SDRam, and Upgrade the Processor Later?

Drew

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know whether the G4 is going to improve speed, but I've found that Win 98 or 2000 are still faster than XP, even with all XP's candy turned off.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
No doubt, even on a 733 quicksilver that my mom had win2k ran alright but xp was a joke. Win2k has ALL the compatibilty you will ever need, and i think its a better OS than xp. So put 2k on there and see how it runs. VPC on a 800 cdrom ibook is tolerable as well with win2k. My girlfriend uses hers for publisher, CD roms for her anotomy classes and what not.

besson3c

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2003
Have you looked at just buying a cheap PC and doing the MS Remote Desktop Connection thing?

It's the best solution out there if a feasible option for you, in my opinion, with little question.

drewdespair

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2003
Buffalo NY
Wow, what a terrific idea! I never thought about an RDP Client (I allready have an XP machine! I can't belive I didn't think about that, I use rdesktop at work daily.) Actually, we are going to install a Citrix server where I work, so if I install ICA the client , I should be okay!

Im still buying a new mac though!

Thanks!
Drew

drewdespair

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2003
Buffalo NY
Even better :)

I use rdesktop at work on our FreeBSD Workstations to connect to a Terminal Server (2K yechhh).

I thought the best piece of software microsoft made was solitare, but I guess I was wrong

Thanks again!

Drew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.