G3 iBook Logic Board issue

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by destroyboredom, Jun 6, 2004.

1. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I just wanted to get some feedback from those experiencing this issue. My iBook is going out on Teus for it's 3rd logicboard since January.

I thought that when the extension progam was announced Apple would have developed a permanent fix to this problem, but apparenty this is not the case. After reviewing my proof of repair from the last two times the same part # is listed as being replaced.

Would it be worth it to call and complain and try to get upgraded to a new model? I think I've read a few cases where this has happened.

It just really sucks when I use it as my main computer and all that data is never safe, if my logic board is going to go out every few months. To add to the problem, Apple Care no longer offers data protection. So if they decide to wipe your hard drive or replace it, you are screwed.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

You should complain and have them send you a new iBook. If the tech support guy says that they can't send you a new one, ask to speak to a person with higher authority. If that doesn't work, at least explain to them that the problem is recurring and you would like a permanent fix.

As for the data, you could pay them $50 or so to back it up, but I would recomend backing it up yourself to save the money. Good luck.

3. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

My second logic bored died yesterday, think i should complain?

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

All right, once and for all...anyone that has an iBook logic board failure, check this out and read thoroughly: http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

For beginners (or for the lazy):
    Once the customer’s iBook has been received by Apple or an AASP, it will be inspected to confirm whether it is affected by the component failure that Apple has identified. If the iBook is affected, then Apple or the AASP will repair it at Apple’s cost, including shipping charges. Repair may include repair or replacement of the customer’s main logic board.

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I think they were wondering if they could get a brand new computer since their logicborads have repeadetly failed and they do not want to send them in again.

6. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

I fully understand the logic board replacement program. What I don't understand is why I have to send my laptop in for repair every 8 weeks because Apple can't develop a permanent fix to the problem.

I puchased Appl care when I bought the laptop so this logic board replacement program does nothing for me.

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I agree that apple has to get this thing figured out and should offer reliable repair or replacment of flawed iBooks. I have one of the iBooks w/ the bad logic boards (not pictured in sig. because I was going to get rid of it) that has been in for a replacement of the logic board three times up to this point. I was going to give it to my neice to take off to college up in Vermont, but was afraid too because it didn't want it to fail again and her have to deal with it so far from home. She's not the best at handling crisis, no matter how minor they might or might not be :p

Anyway, my question is this: has apple just decided to repair these computers until the end of the three year period and then leave their customers high and dry, or are they really working to create a board that does not fail at random? BTW, I too have AppleCare, which is a good thing because my board failed before the program started and I didn't have the money to pay for a repair, even if I knew a reimbursement might come in the future.

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Wow !!! Why so harsh ???

Anyways, yes you should request a new one... At the very least you should have it already set up-in writing, on file- before you pick this one up, that should this one go bad, like the others, you will be credited the current price of a new g4 iBook...

I did this after the 3rd replacement... When the 3rd one went, 4 months later, it was on file at Apple that it should no longer be repaired & customer (me) should be granted a current model , new (not refurb) iBook...They ended up giving me a $1099.00 credit for a new computer...

You have to make noise & Apple can be quite difficult with situations like this, but be polite- but Firm- & persistent & they'll replace it...

9. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

Jemeinc-

This is good to hear. I'm going to call and see if they'll credit my account for the price of the new G4 ibook. This would be my 3rd time sending it in and I'm tired of dealing with it.

Any suggestions? How high up do you have to go to get a credit? How easy are they to deal with when you ask to speak to a supervisor?

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Reminds me of one story I read online about the eMac screen issues that Apple said to one customer "could not be replaced" because there wasn't one replacement that worked.

I wanted to make clear to other viewers of the thread (not just the posters) about what to do IF their iBook happens to go through similar logic board issues. I feel that I made my statement clear enough (to some, harsh enough), as I've been quoted 3 times in the thread so far.

11. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

They're tough to deal with... I was lucky enough to have an Apple store close by... The genius there set it up for me... I believe it wasn't actually Applecare, but customer support that he ended up going through... The Apple store is the one that made sure the note was on my file & that when I ended up having to replace it I went through them...

12. wide macrumors 6502a

the geniuses are evil. consider yourself lucky to NEVER have to speak to one of them in your entire life!! they think that their job is about them. news flash: it's not.

i don't see why I should have to suffer with a "genius" at the Apple Store who cannot concentrate and print out my receipt for fixing my staticy iPod mini simply because she got piss drunk the night before and has a huge handover. totally unacceptable

13. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

OUCH !!! Sorry to hear about your unfortunate dealings with them... I actually had one genious who was a real dufus... I just don't deal with him anymore- the other guy is pretty cool, willing to help, & much more knowledgeable than I am... I guess I'm just lucky to have at least 1 good one at my local store...

14. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an Update:

I called Apple today and went through Apple Care who then transferred me to customer relations.

I was very polite and explained my problem. They obviously said there intention is for me not to have to send it back every 8 weeks. The lady explained that they would not expect me to go through a 4th hardware repair and that if it failed they would replace it with an equal model, or a greater one if that model is no longer available.

It will certainly be interesting to see how the ibook holds up after this repair. (hopefully long enough that there isn't another G3 iBook in sight)