G3 iBook or slower G4 Powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by edwardk9, Oct 14, 2005.

1. edwardk9 macrumors member

edwardk9

I am looking for a cheap but capable portable mac. I am trying to decide between:

G3 800mhz 640RAM iBook $299.99
    G4 400mhz 256RAM Powerbook $499.99

I really don't do anything but use the internet, word, email, chat and itunes.

Which machine would be better?

I know that for only $200.00 more I could get a refurb ibook from apple w/ warranty but I just dont have $200.00 more and really need it at the moment.

So just between these two systems which would you choose?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For $200 less, I'd say the iBook is the better buy. Plus, you get much more RAM. Yay!

3. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

what your paying for with the powerbook is more related to extras then raw power - extras like a bigger screen, higher quality keyboard, audio in, PC Card slot, fancy looks, etc.

The ibook just gives you the best of the basics - battery life, durability, portability.

The G3 and G4 processors are almost the same when using apps that aren't optimized for altivec (IE photoshop), so for regular use the ibook will be much faster, plus the ibook is a much newer machine which means it is less likely to break down on you.

4. sigamy macrumors 65816

Where are you finding these prices?

iBook is the better deal for just email, internet and office apps.

5. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

yeah and now that I think about it, I just sold a 600mhz G3 ibook with some minor defects on ebay for $430. How are you getting an 800mhz ibook for $299? I'd anticipate something more like $550.

6. edwardk9 thread starter macrumors member

edwardk9

These are being purchased from someone I know online but macofalltrades has 800mhz iBooks for 399.99 only 100.00 bucks more.

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

just watch for the logic board issues with the G3 iBook!

I agree-- the iBook is the way to go.