G3 iBook + widescreen external monitor how?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Hi!

Just for fun I connected my 12" G3 iBook via VGA to an external monitor which supports a widescreen resolution of 1280x768. How can I get the native resolution of this screen to work? The options are currently topped out at 1024x768. :-( I'm not fussed about using the iBook's own screen at the same time. In fact its all in parts and the iBook's own screen isn't even connected right now!!

Spanky

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Need more info! Some G3 iBooks support screen spanning (which also enables resolutions other than the iBooks native resolution on external screens) and some don't.

Check out the Spanning Doctor.

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Its an ancient 600Mhz G3 with DVD, 100Mhz Bus. Second gen white iBook. I'll give that screen spanning thing a go when I get home from the library, sounds proimising, thanks! :)

4. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Because the iBook only supports mirroring by default, it only thinks to use its own native resolution on external displays. Even if you disconnect the actual LCD, the iBook will try and send signal to it. As such, it's still a mirror. If you install Screen Spanning Doctor, it will unlock the dual display capabilities of the video card. Then, when you open up the Display Preferences, a set will open on each screen, and you can set things independently.

5. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I jsut had a look at the info on Screen Spanning doctor and I think it needs a Radeon card. I've got a sneaky suspicion the old little bugger only has a Rage card {shudders}. Arse.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's why I said some support it and some don't! If you don't have a supported card don't install it. Around the time the first supported iBooks were available some people with unsupported hardware managed to mess them up badly installing this.