G3 iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cam59, Jun 6, 2004.

1. macrumors member

May 15, 2004
    My sister wants to buy an iBook but does not want to spend $1100 for the new version. Instead we found a brand new G3 800MHz at macmall.com for $740. I have no idea if this computer is ok for her, all she does is email, aim, word, and a few basic games. She will keep this computer for at least 3 years. Is this a good deal or should she save up and go for the G4. Thanks.
  2. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002

Check the special deals in the Apple Store You can get a iBook G4 pretty cheap I think the cheapest I have seen is $799 for the 800G4
  3. macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    That is not a good deal. The G4 is already an old processor, so getting a G3 would definately not be preparing for new software releases (i.e. Tiger). That computer will last three years for her, but you might as well spend $50 extra and get an Apple refurbished G4. I hear they are good quality computers and Apple makes them like-new with their "stringent refurbishing process". You can always get an iPod & iBook cleaner to get rid of the scratches on the back of the notebook's screen.
  4. macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Im skeptical of their "stringent refurbishing process" because my iBook came with a lose cable (basically, the computer wouldn't charge). But, worst case scenario, you can get it fixed since it comes with a one year warranty.

When I got my iBook, it was in almost perfect condition. They must have replaced the top and bottom case because there was not one scratch.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    I would highly recommend avoiding the G3 iBooks at all costs... That one was a clunker- it happens... I'm sure there are people who will tell me how great they are, I respect that... But from my experience, & reading the experiences of others- the chances of problems are pretty good... I would NEVER, in good faith, recommend someone buy a G3 iBook... That's just my opinion thopugh....