g3 ibooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by toezter, Oct 19, 2004.

1. toezter macrumors regular

toezter

what are the limitations on memory, and can it support an airport?

if i where to max out the memory, would it be "fast" enough to run osX w/ a couple small programs running (chat, browsing, itunes), and possibly photoshop at the same time with no "slow down"?

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

there are the snow g3 ibooks and the fruit colored ones
    for the snow ones you can add an extra 512mb memory in addition to whatever is in the nonremovable slot, all take the original airport

you should be okay if you max the memory and don't plan on using photoshop that sternously

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Well, I have a G3 iBook (see sig), and it runs everything great... except the stuff that a G3 can't do (like real-time editing in FCE/FCP, DVI stream through iChat, etc). It's a sweet machine, and if you're strapped for cash, and don't plan to use it for heavy video editing or video conferencing, go for it! I had this iBook for a year, and plan to keep it until the rev. B's of the next PowerBooks (whether it's dual G4 or G5) comes out.

4. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

yeah, i wouldn't be doing any heavy editing on this machine. just a light, mobile, note taking device, and entertainment tool.

when you say "original airport", is that a B or G?

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

it supports airport, but not airport express

6. toezter thread starter macrumors regular

toezter

do you mean it doesn't support airport extreme?

btw, this is not the clamshell ibook.

7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

right, its the slower regular airport, but nothing wrong with that. It should work just fine for you, no prob. It won't be the fastest, but it will do everything that you would seem to need it to do.

8. deebster macrumors 6502

I've used an iBook G3 600, with maxed out RAM (640 MB) happily for two years.

For any combination of web stuff, chat, iTunes, burning CDs it's absolutely fine. In fact there aren't many instances when it noticibly slows down, other than doing CPU intensive stuff like video encoding or ripping, but you knew that :)

You can have many applications open at the same time under OS X. Those that are idle consume very little if anything in the way of system resources. That's one of the joys of OS X.

9. MXDT macrumors member

I have a G3 900 with 384 mb of ram(128 onboard and 256 added)
    The G3 is basically the same as a G4 except that the G4 introduced Altivec awareness. So if a program has altivec coding in it the G4 will clearly outperfrom the G3 but other wise their isn't much of a difference in pure processing.

I've used iBook G4 800mhz and 1Ghz. and the G3 900 is about as equal to the 800mhz G4 and isn't too far behind the 1Ghz. But ofcourse with the bettter video card in the G4 iBooks and Altivec support sometimes the G3 is clearly not as fast. But for regular stuff their isn't much difference. At-least nothing that will make computing life any different on the G3.

But for average stuff and if you want to save a lil cash a G3 iBook would do it. Besides iBooks are not ment for hardcore uses and demanding applications.

Oh yeah whatever you get make sure it has the 512k L2 cache that helps speed things up a lot. I know thats what really helps my iBook against the G4 iBooks that have the lower 256 L2 cache.