Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoBurkhardt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Hi there I just restored an old 1999 G3 iMac DV 400MHZ with slot-drive from the dead, and I feel it lacks a bit of power under it's hood. I already put RAM and HDD but the computing power is just not enough.

What I want to do is go into OpenFirmware and speed up the cpu and possibly the bus, I remember doing so on my sawtooth but I can't find the code plus that was a G4 and now I have a G3.

I also found this page (http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/imacde1.html) that shows how to mechanicaly overclock up to 1GHZ but I want to be able to do it non physical if possible.

I know this isn't the hot topic now a days but maybe some of you will remember what they used to do and feel some nostalgia(is that a propper word?).

thanks

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Why not just bid on this? It's totally swappable with your existing logic board, the on-board G3 is an IBM one where the cache works at full chip speed unlike your existing Motorola chip, and it comes with double the VRAM you currently have.

Macmadant

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2005
Hi there I just restored an old 1999 G3 iMac DV 400MHZ with slot-drive from the dead, and I feel it lacks a bit of power under it's hood. I already put RAM and HDD but the computing power is just not enough.

What I want to do is go into OpenFirmware and speed up the cpu and possibly the bus, I remember doing so on my sawtooth but I can't find the code plus that was a G4 and now I have a G3.

I also found this page (http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/imacde1.html) that shows how to mechanicaly overclock up to 1GHZ but I want to be able to do it non physical if possible.

I know this isn't the hot topic now a days but maybe some of you will remember what they used to do and feel some nostalgia(is that a propper word?).

thanks

It can't be done without soldering, i brought this up ages ago, as my granddad owns one, now i've got his to recently purchase an ibook G3, with double the CPU speed, and 4X the VRAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.