G3 iMac Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Knapan, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Knapan macrumors newbie

So I went ahead and bought myself a nice g3 iMac today. 500mhz model. I bought it used (obviously) and I didn't try it out before the guy left, ( he has delivered it). I've dealt with the guy before, and he's a trustworthy guy, etc. Anyways, I emailed him about the problem and he has yet to reply. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it? Or what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.
    Neil

2. Queso macrumors G4

How about a brief description of the issue to start with? I know we're good, but not that good :p

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

exactly what i was thinking. while you were posting i kept re-reading the post to see if i'd just missed it.... rolleyes:

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

5. Knapan thread starter macrumors newbie

Woah. Oops.:eek:

The iMac seems to have a buzzing/whine noise .

I am also having trouble connect to my WRT54G. It doesnt seem to show up in my network list, and my router is infact set to mixed signal mode.

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

7. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Via ethernet right? Unless you have an AirPort Wireless card installed the iMac by default doesn't have 802.11b built in.

8. Knapan thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about being so bland. Anyways, yes I have the airport installed.:)

And as an update, the whineing sound went away for 10 seconds after I rebooted when reinstalling OSX, and the monitor was on and stuff. Ahh, how the silence sounded so beutiful.:(

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Your sure the whine/buzz isn't normal HD/fan noise?

10. Knapan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm fairly sure it's not normal hdd noise. Its atleast 3 times louder then the total noise of my pc. Im thinking about trying to replace the hdd, is it hard to do in an iMac g3?:confused:

11. Queso macrumors G4

The first HD my iMac G3 had was very noisy, with a high-pitched whine like the one you're describing. I swapped it out for an IBM Deskstar which was much quieter. Try and get a 5400RPM drive if you're planning to do this, since the faster drives give off more heat and the iMac G3s have no internal fans for cooling.

Instructions on how to do this here. Make sure you use a magnetic screwdriver. I took mine apart once to replace the battery, lost a screw, and had to spend the next two to three hours taking the Mac apart completely to fish it out.

12. Knapan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for this info. Im going to take out my 20gb hdd and try it in my pc, just to see if it whines before i go buy a new one! :)

13. Knapan thread starter macrumors newbie

I just finished gutting my iMac, and I got the hdd out and tested it in my pc. It was in fact the hdd that was loud, thank god! I'll be replacing it tomorrow hopefully, if I can get a used one by then.

Thanks everyone for your help with my problems! Pretty soon Ill be enjoying my iMac to its fullest!:cool: