G3 Imac or eMac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by devro, Jun 5, 2004.

1. devro macrumors newbie

im a first year graphic design student from Bristol UK and in need of a mac. Basically I need to decide whether to get a 2nd hand iMac or a new eMac. I have been looking on ebay for some G3's as this is my preference but due to my lack of computer knowledge, I'm unable to make a decision!! could anyone give me some tips on what sort of spec's I should be looking for (I will be using Photoshop etc on the machine)

Help would be greatlfully appreciated. Thanks alot.

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

You want a G4 or G5 Mac if you are going to be doing graphic design. At least 1Ghz or above for good performance, with as much RAM as you can get. So I would say the new eMacs, with lots of RAM should work for you.

3. The Cheat macrumors member

While you could probably get away with using one of the later G3's that appeared in the the last revision iBook's, the G3's used in any of the old iMacs will be inadequate for what you are looking to use them for, particularly if you want to run OSX. On top of this is the fact that those old iMacs still fetch a rather high price on eBay considering how outdated they are by today's standards. If you are looking for a low-cost Mac, by far your best bet is to spring for a new current model. Considering it probably won't cost you all that much more (since old Macs retain their value well) your best bang for your buck will come from a new 1.25GHz eMac.

On the other hand, if you are really looking for the best in the price/performance ratio, you are then looking at getting a home built PC. I will get flamed for this but frankly, for the cost of an eMac, you could build a PC that will just destroy the eMac. The real price you pay obviously, is running Windows! :rolleyes:

4. mms macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the lower G3 won't be much good for Photoshop work. My old G3 PowerBook was horrible with Photoshop under OS X. Go for an eMac. It's not that costly and well worth the price.

5. wide macrumors 6502a

What graphics design will you be doing? For most serious designers I would suggest an eMac 1.25 GHz with as much RAM you can fit (or afford). The current line of eMacs are a particularly good deal and they were recently updated and have pretty much the same specifications as the iMac.

Just out of curiousity, what iMac are you looking for? The G4 (built-in flat panel display) or the G3 (built-in CRT display)? I don't know why you would ever consider getting a G3...not that they are bad processors, but because they are rather old and outdated. Also, if you are considering the G4 iMac (second hand) or the eMac, you should take into consideration that CRTs offer better performance for graphics designers and gamers.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

7. devro thread starter macrumors newbie

well i guess the eMac it is then! my only reservation on the thing was the rather cumborsome look of the beast. but i suppose this will have to be gotten over! thanks alot. much appreciated.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Get something with DDR memory and a G4, aka the eMac 1.25GHz machine.

It's one of the better new deals Apple has right now.

---

And the rather cumbersome look of the beast is one of the best anti-theft devices.

It'll be easier to target somebody with a tower and/or a notebook than the eMac.

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

it is big. and it is cumbersome. and it does weigh like 50 pounds. but it's a good mac for the price. i would go for the emac and learn to love how... solid it appears (yeah, that's it. solid).

10. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

go for the eMac, you'll need the G4..!

vSpacken

11. wide macrumors 6502a

hey, it looks better than the imac g3...kinda

just think of it as a souped up imac g3 that's twice the size and weight, but three times the power :)

12. sockeatingdryer macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

The eMac

No argument there: the eMac

Speaking of which, I just got mine today! I LOVE IT!
    Coincidentally, it replaced my G3 iMac. :(
    I loved that thing.