G3 iMac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tokelokenem, Nov 19, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2012
    I was holding out on making a thread, but I can't find an answer.

I got a G3 Blue iMac slot loader and it was booting with a system folder icon. Put in a 0S9 disk, everything loaded, but it couldn't find the hard drive.

Put in a OSX 10.4 disk in, and it froze during opening disk utility.

Now it won't boot at all. Sometimes I get a single beep followed by the startup sound, I can hear the CRT turn on but no screen. Then the power LED goes dim, and or flickers a little bit followed by some faint popping sounds. Sometimes the power LED is just dim, no sounds, CRT dosen't turn on.

I hooked it up to another CRT via VGA and it will do the same, but show just a blank grey screen on the external CRT.

I put in a new PRAM battery thinking that might be it, new HD, reseated the ram, still not working.

I don't know what is going on here.

It all started after I loaded up the OSX disk. I never got close to installing it though.
  2. Graveyard, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012

macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2009
    Check the ram. That's the first thing to do and then try and replace the hdd with a more recent model if it still has the original one inside.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2012
    I've reseated the ram about 4 times now.

Sometimes after the startup sound, and after I can hear the CRT start and CD drive start, it seems theres not enough power and the LED goes dim and makes a slight popping/ticking sound. It's not the HD though.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2012
    Well, its working right now. It's on it side, and connected to an external CRT.

All I did was lose a screw in the case when it was upside down and I shook it around untill it came out. Yes it was heavy. I also pressed a little button on the bottom of the logic board and took out the PRAM battery.