G3 Laptop Airport Card work in a G5 Tower?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Skaught, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Skaught macrumors member

I have an older black laptop...I've forgotten the name of those - powerbook was it? Anyway, it has an original Airport card installed. I just bought a Macbook Pro, so I won't need to use this laptop for wireless access, so I was thinking about pulling it and installing it in my G5 tower. I assume it would work fine, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Scott

2. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Nope!

G3 Airport is standard 802.11b
    G5 takes Airport Extreme 802.11g

Sorry :eek:

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Not only that, the Airport Cards are a form of internal PC card (PCMCIA??), where as the old Airport Extreme cards were a mini-PCI card. So not only does your b/g not fit, the card can't actually connect to it in anyway as no G5 was ever released with standard Airport...

FWIW, today Airport is built-in on a chip along with Bluetooth since it's standard in pretty much all Macs. They don't use the mini-PCI connection anymore.

:)

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The good news is you can sell the regular Airport card and get one of the newer ones, and likely even make some money in the process of getting a better card. Regular Airport cards are very much in demand.

5. Skaught thread starter macrumors member

Arg! I should have known. Oh well, looks like I have a portable DVD player that just happens to have wireless internet access.

Scott

6. Skaught thread starter macrumors member

Interesting! I may give that a shot. Thanks.

Scott

7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Quite true, I hadn't thought of that.

Macofalltrades sells the AirPort card for $100, so you can likely get close to that on an eBay auction.

8. Skaught thread starter macrumors member

Wow, prices have dropped on these things. I remember paying $99 for my card and $300 for the base station. Looks like the decided to be competetive.

Scott

9. Skaught thread starter macrumors member

Are the Extreme base stations that much better than the originals?

Scott

10. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Other than the fact that it supports 802.11g of course, they should be pretty much the same.

I've never owned either, but Apple's Base Stations are all similar.

I do know that Apple never released a firmware upgrade for the AirPort station to support the more secure WPA standard, but the Extreme station has it.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

11. CHROMEDOME macrumors regular

The new airport extreme base stations are faster than the old graphite ones. They use 802.11g at 54mpbs instead of 802.11b at like 11mbps or something. The airport express rocks and I love mine... You should sell your old airport card because you can make at least 100 bucks. Thats a good deal for something that was the same price like 5 years ago.