G3 Mini Tower // Video Capture software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NOV, Sep 27, 2004.

1. NOV macrumors 6502

NOV

Hi,

my G3 has a standard video capturing option built in (which I never had used so far)..But now I need to edit some video material from an older analogue camera so I wanted to use the G3 for that.

But the G3 has no software on it (OS9) to capture video... :(
    Does someone know if there it's still possible to buy such software for OS9 or maybe freeware solutions?

Thanks in advance!

2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

You can use bTV to capture. But what are you using to edit with? most editing software will have its own capture method. If you have/or borrow a DV camera you can connect your analog camera to that & capture via DV/Firewire.

What sort of G3 do you have? if it a slower machine you may may not be able to deal with full size or high quality video. i think you need at least 500mhz for DV to work.

If you are looking for os9 editing software, I think the first ver of imovie was os9, or finalcut pro up to v3 or adobe premier upto v5.5

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think it's a Beige G3 tower. Unless modified (like mine :D) it's a max of 300MHz. An A/V card, with stereo in/out, RCA in/out, S-Video in/out, and possibly more was an option for the non-server tower. If I had one (they're still $$$ on eBay, and it's rather useless for me), I'd see what I could do.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I used one (and still have it) to edit video for several years ago.
    The software which came with it was Strata VideoShop 3.0,
    AvidCinema 2 and and older versions of Premiere will work.
    You can also import video with "Apple TV/video player" (think it was called that). You will probably find it in the Apple Menu or in Applications Extra folder.

Video editing on the G3 is slow... Be sure to compress the video.
    If i remember right i think cinepak compresson and 512x384 resolution would work with decent framerates.. (this was in strata videoshop..)

Anyway, you could always capture with the "apple tv/video player" and then copy it to a faster mac (if you have access to one) and import it into whatever program you have access to.

5. NOV thread starter macrumors 6502

NOV

Thanks for your replies.

Yep that's the one :)

After capturing I will transfer the files to my PC with Premiere and edit it there. So it's purely for capturing purposes...

6. NOV thread starter macrumors 6502

NOV

Thanks for BTV tip. It's exactly what I have been looking for. Great little app! :)