G3 tower won't recognise Jag install CD 1!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Macette, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Macette macrumors 6502

what do i do? i am usually such a competent little problem solver, but this one's killing me. i insert the CD, and it just won't show up. every other cd i insert (including install CD 2) shows up, no problem.

i can't select it using startup disks, it's not showing up in disk utility, it's not making any noise (so it's apparently not even trying to read it). it works FINE in my iBook.

i can get it to show up using my external zip-cd drive, but when I try to use that as my start-up drive, it just gives the flashing question mark sign, and then boots up in 10.1.5.

is there any other way i can use my external CD drive to install from? or could I install from my ibook, using it as a startup disk?

crikey. it's a jag-wire.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: G3 tower won't recognise Jag install CD 1!

Sounds like it's the disc or your internal drive.

What I would try is to make a copy of it to a CD-R and then try using that.

Maybe there's some odd reason that it's not reading on the internal, but does read on the external. Burn a copy, and try to boot it from the internal.

arn

3. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks arn - will try. will i need to make a disk image and then burn it? or can i just copy files and folders across? is there a way to make a disk image in OS X?

EDIT: Just tried to copy mac os x install stuff onto desktop, and it said 'one or more files couldn't be copied'. Remedy?

4. Macette thread starter macrumors 6502

well it still ain't working... - 'image volume failed - 999'

is there something protecting the disk?

what should I do? it's legal and everything, but the apple people are going to give me a hard time because I *tested* it in my ibook.

please help me. i am at my wits' end. i just want to install it. i've spent the last week backing stuff up and preparing to install. now I JUST WANT TO INSTALL IT.