G3 upgrade overclocking?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by blackfox, Mar 19, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This is not what you would call a substantive post...but a question:
    I have a pismo w/ a powerlogix G3 900 upgrade, and was wondering about potential overclocking potential of the chip for the future. I have no complaints now, but I will never sell my pismo, and would like to keep etching out life for it...so my questions are:
    1) Overclocking possibilities on that chip (750FX, I believe) and whether it being on a daughtercard will make a difference (I am not great with architecture)
    2) I remember the software hack for the iBooks a while back - if possible to find, might that be an option to consider (or alternatives)?
    3) Is the pismo able to accept 1G sticks of RAM? Already maxed at 1G w/ 512 chips (again, this is for the future)
    4) Does anyone know of development on G3 chips? Might legitimate upgrades still come down the line (via powerlogix etc) Will the chips no longer fit (as happened w/ G4 upgrades for pismo)
    Thanks for your time, I am aware of the risk(s) I might take, but it certainly isn't under warranty anymore and I have another powerlogix G4 500 chip as a back up if I fry the G3...I would love to envision my pismo @ 1.1Ghz w/ 2G ram in 2005/6 as a back-up machine to my eventual G5 desktop. Cheers...

2. AhmedFaisal Guest

Nope, the 750FX can't be speedbumped that way, and its not a good idea anyways, it already runs awefully hot at high usage. The Pismo can only adress 1GB of RAM total, besides, there is no 1GB SO-DIMMs for SD-RAM neither 100 or 133.
    IBM is still working on upgrades for the G3 (750VX aka Gobi) however I doubt they will work with Macs simply because the OS doesn't have built in support for it (since Apple won't use that processor). All current upgrades available make use of CPUs that are used by Apple in one or the other official Mac Comp. So unless Apple decides to use the 750VX and include support for it you won't see an upgrade from Powerlogix using it.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

3. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thanks Ahmed, you answered all my questions very well (except for the answers being no) I appreciate the info, I suppose I will do w/ what I have...still not shabby...
    Guess this is a short thread...

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think you can be sure that overclocking it would not be a good idea. The G3/900 upgrade runs hot already since the system wasn't designed for such an upgrade and has little room for extra air circulation. If you would combine your upgrade with a faster hard drive, you might get by but overclocking the processor would certainly put you in meltdown mode quickly.

5. AhmedFaisal Guest

About future G3 upgrades

I just went to the IBM website and checked on the 750GX which is the next step up from the 750FX before the 750VX is released. This should offer 1.1GHz and also, more significantly a bigger Cache of 1MB. IBM claims it to be 100% compatible with the 750FX which could mean it could be used in an upgrade. Here is the article:

http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/products/powerpc/newsletter/jun2003/newproductfocus.html

Now I would take that with a grain of salt. One, how much hotter than the 750FX does this beast get, I don't think there is much room for more heat dissipation in the Pismo. Second is it really compatible? Remember the Pismo G3 900 already requires a firmware hack so its hard to tell if the 750GX will work or not. I trust that Powerlogix and others will try it out and if it works, it might come available.
    Cheers,

Ahmed

6. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thanks for the info.