Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
Here's an interesting thing I noticed, OSX is actually faster than 9, it just has all these drop shadows and other gimmicky things that slow it down.

If you have KDX you know what i mean. It has it's own sort of "theme" that it uses and it is extremely responsive on my 466 clamshell ibook, no speed demon in any respects.

It's just that without all that extra crap OSX is fast. that's why when you have another theme it might remove those unessecary things, and thereby making your mac faster.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by Sherman
Here's an interesting thing I noticed, OSX is actually faster than 9, it just has all these drop shadows and other gimmicky things that slow it down.

If you have KDX you know what i mean. It has it's own sort of "theme" that it uses and it is extremely responsive on my 466 clamshell ibook, no speed demon in any respects.

It's just that without all that extra crap OSX is fast. that's why when you have another theme it might remove those unessecary things, and thereby making your mac faster.
you may be right because if you are using a g4 because osx is so optimized especially if you strip all of the eye candy, however with no benchmarks to support your claim it sounds a little iffy. why not run 1000 windows and other non altivec apps un your mac in 9 not classic and then in osx and then do the same with altivec enabled apps. i find that 9 seems faster all of the time on my g4 upgraded beige g3 especially when encoding video or using my music apps. cubase, logic, deck. etc. OSX will eventually catch up because 9 is no longer being optimized except in classic mode. but I could not wait so I am using 3rd party apps to make my 9 looks as good well almost as good as osx with out a performance hit{power windows, smooth type, daves browser, 3d launcher etc. this way when i must use 9 for music and encoding and my yamaha dspfactory sound card it looks almost as good as 10.
hopefully some one will give us some benchmarks of simotaneous released sofware products i.e. itunes2 os9, itunes2 osx

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
Well you can test it yourself if you have a slower mac running OSX. Go on VersionTracker and download KDX, it's kind of like hotline. Not KDK, lol.

Also, to keep iTunes from eating up your CPU cycles turn off the "sound enhancer". When I put it all the way to the top it actually caused 100% CPU usage on my iBook.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Altivec is a waste if the OS is hogging it!

Using any kind of altivec optimised code for the GUI is a complete waste of resources. I know with Quartz Extreme it's less of an issue but it shouldn't be an issue at all. Altivec is there so the G4 can try and match the raw cpu muscle of the increasingly more powerful chips Intel and AMD make. It's also there to accelerate code that would normally bog down any current cpu. Once I've got a G4 I hope any advantage altivec has isn't squashed by the sheer overhead of OS X. There's a lot of software synths and plug-ins that benefit enormously from altivec code, not to mention video codecs and such. It would be a waste to use the SiMD extensions on the OS instead of to speed up applications like they're designed to do.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Altivec is a waste if the OS is hogging it!

Originally posted by barkmonster
Using any kind of altivec optimised code for the GUI is a complete waste of resources. I know with Quartz Extreme it's less of an issue but it shouldn't be an issue at all. Altivec is there so the G4 can try and match the raw cpu muscle of the increasingly more powerful chips Intel and AMD make. It's also there to accelerate code that would normally bog down any current cpu. Once I've got a G4 I hope any advantage altivec has isn't squashed by the sheer overhead of OS X. There's a lot of software synths and plug-ins that benefit enormously from altivec code, not to mention video codecs and such. It would be a waste to use the SiMD extensions on the OS instead of to speed up applications like they're designed to do.

Hmm. Well, either you or I has a fundamental problem in understanding AltiVec and pre-emptive multitasking.

On a CPU using pre-emptive multitasking, a single process (thread) "owns" the CPU for the duration of a time slice (how long that is is determined by the scheduler, not directly by the application as in co-op multitasking). The register state of threads has to be swapped out and in as their slices expire and come up again. While a particular thread owns the CPU, no other thread may execute on that CPU.

For instance, if AppX is doing a bunch of integer math, and AppY wants to do a bunch of floating point math, it would be really cool if the CPU would give it's integer units to AppX and its FP Units to AppY simultaneously. But that's simply not the case.

Now, I've seen the AltiVec unit described as a "co-processor", and indeed it does have its own set of registers, cache, etc. It is at least theoretically possible that when a particular thread "owns" the CPU proper, the AltiVec coprocessor could be chugging away on calculations for a different thread. However, I see this as a highly unlikely design (generally AltiVec instructions happen in tandem with PPC instructions, and so there is no AltiVec "chugging away" scenario where the CPU itself is idle for the majority of a time slice, and providing such possibility on the remote chance that it would be used would needlessly complicate the design for little noticable benefit even when it really would be used).

So, if OS X's "OS threads" (Finder, Quartz, etc) are using AltiVec, that's great. The OS using or not using AltiVec will have no bearing whatsoever on the performance of other processes that wish to use AltiVec, as any OS X altivec usage will be cleared out when its timeslice ends.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by jefhatfield
and dont forget the price difference...you get what you pay for and sometimes the g4 is giving you things you may not need

like an above poster said, you sound like the ideal ibook user

Sort of like me? I'm sure I would have been just fine with an iBook considering what I use my computer for, but I plan on owning it and using it for several years, and I just can't imagine the G3 being able to adequately perform in 2-3 years, much less 4.

I suggest going with the best you can afford or available if you have any hope of not replacing it (or worse, wishing you could replace it).

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Its amazing!!you guys have to try this!!

Originally posted by barkmonster

My biege g3 upgraded to 600\240\83bus 7410 g4 overclocked with 768 of pc100 222 ram is running the OSX desktop GUI faster than a dual 1GHZ Powermac g4, I kid you not.resizing windows and dragging are now instaneous and you can twirl a window around without the cursor losing contact at 1600x1200 85hz and 2048x1536 75hz mind you! this along with virtual desktop http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/2287 gives negates the need for dual monitors I wonder how this looks on a Large lcd, let me know. http://www.aquamakeover.com/aqua.html
Once Apple finds out they will have to take it down so hurry.
I am now using Cubase in 9.22 my Yamaha dspfactory sound card and all my plugins and my voodoo 5500 video card not to mention my serial midi interfaces and stylewriter 1200 printer are all compatable now.
Thats a lot lot of money to replace in OSX.

Please try these and let me know what you think????????
I know you Jag only for Jag OSX only programs and there are alot.
there is also a program called os9forever that helps really old macs run 9.2, did not need that though.

slightly off subject I know.
to compare g4 to old g3 {not sahara}just cut of altivec support

pnz999

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
Is it wise to get a G3 machine? if everything in OS X relies on the velocity engine.

pnz999

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit

It's not so much that it relies on it so much as it runs better with the G4 and Altivec specifically. The latest G3 Sahara processors run OSX very well.

Does the new iBook uses G3 Sahara by IBM?

I keep reading about this velocity engine [that the G4 is optimized to run with it]

Does anyone know if Studio MX [including Dreamweaver/Flash], Photoshop 7, Illustrator, Office X, and iApps [iPhoto, iMovie] are optimize for vecolity engine [altivec]?

thank you

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by pnz999

Does the new iBook uses G3 Sahara by IBM?

I keep reading about this velocity engine [that the G4 is optimized to run with it]

Does anyone know if Studio MX [including Dreamweaver/Flash], Photoshop 7, Illustrator, Office X, and iApps [iPhoto, iMovie] are optimize for vecolity engine [altivec]?

thank you

Yes, the new iBooks have been using the Sahara G3 for almost a year now.

The velocity engine is actually a part of the G4 itself and yes it can make a huge difference. The key word is can. Not a lot of programs can take advantage of it. The ones that do can see a huge boost. If you plan on doing audio or video work definitely get a G4. Unless you don't have the money then don't worry about it the G3 has more then enough grunt to crank out audio and video. It's just nice to have the extra power.

We are so spoiled these days. I remember rendering with vista pro and the first version of Bryce on my Performa 600 wich had a 33MHz Motorola 030. It would take an hour to do a tiny 6 second low quality fly through. Now I can do the a simililar project but do incredible quality at full screen and do it nearly at real time.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Re: Re: Altivec is a waste if the OS is hogging it!

Originally posted by jettredmont
For instance, if AppX is doing a bunch of integer math, and AppY wants to do a bunch of floating point math, it would be really cool if the CPU would give it's integer units to AppX and its FP Units to AppY simultaneously. But that's simply not the case.

You just pretty much described what hyperthreading does :)

pnz999

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
I had been using the dual 867 for a week now! i am enjoying the whole os x thing.. but I hate that everything needs to be in the Library..like in iPhoto, iTunes to see my files *.jpg/*.mp3? any suggestions?

Anyways, like I have said I like the dual 867 [stock config.] perfromance... but I want to return it tommorow, for a portable laptop. Well, I am worried about the G3 performance? and worried about the slow performance? without the altivec. D you think i wil be seeing alot of "beachballs" of the G3 800 Mhz?

hopefully, ibook will get a G4? soon by MWSF or I am stuck in a Dell PC.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
g3 hangs tough!

You can find new test of the ibook vs tibook vs dual 1ghz g4 here
http://macspeedzone.com/html/hardware/machine/comparison/portable/powerbook/index.shtml
the ibook stands up well for itself even in altivec optimized apps and is the best buy in Apple portables I now see why Apple did not release the 1GHZ g3 yet even though it is available, because it would have even beaten the dual 1GHZ in some benchmarks, could not have done that.
peace

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: g3 hangs tough!

Originally posted by daveg5
You can find new test of the ibook vs tibook vs dual 1ghz g4 here
http://macspeedzone.com/html/hardware/machine/comparison/portable/powerbook/index.shtml
the ibook stands up well for itself even in altivec optimized apps and is the best buy in Apple portables I now see why Apple did not release the 1GHZ g3 yet even though it is available, because it would have even beaten the dual 1GHZ in some benchmarks, could not have done that.
peace

What those tests don't show are real world tests where you are importing in iTunes and converting and rendering in iMovie. The Duals will destroy any other mac in this scenario. Simply because they 2 processors one for each app which works very nicely in 10.2.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Re: Re: g3 hangs tough!

What those tests don't show are real world tests where you are importing in iTunes and converting and rendering in iMovie. The Duals will destroy any other mac in this scenario. Simply because they 2 processors one for each app which works very nicely in 10.2.

i agree with you. still a superb showing for the little ibook though.
for general purpose and ocassional video and encoding the ibbok is a bargin by apple standards, especially with the dual independant monitor hack.
but duals will totally destroy it on mp aware apps and when running multiple apps at the same time.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: g3 hangs tough!

Originally posted by daveg5

i agree with you. still a superb showing for the little ibook though.
for general purpose and ocassional video and encoding the ibbok is a bargin by apple standards, especially with the dual independant monitor hack.
but duals will totally destroy it on mp aware apps and when running multiple apps at the same time.

I agree the iBook is a great computer and very under rated. It does very well and the G3 Sahara is owed a lot of credit.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
i think its the cache

i think its the largerL2 cache. Remember when Powermac G3's and G4's had 1 full MB of L2 cache, now they have 256k, you could put 4 256k just to make 1MB, i thought it would get bigger not smaller, also I think the ibbok has a better or potenetially better memory bus ach. Any way i wish apple would bring back the 1MB L2 cahche, that would really speed things up. athlon has 384, P4 has 512K. the G4 used to be top dog on L2 now its top dog on L3 which is not as importatant or needed but much cheaper. let the consumer macs get some L3 cache and give the pros a full MB L2 inaddidtion to L2

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Re: Re: Re: g3 hangs tough!

I agree the iBook is a great computer and very under rated. It does very well and the G3 Sahara is owed a lot of credit.

right on. mine is plenty fast for my portable needs. why pay more?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by pnz999
Is it wise to get a G3 machine? if everything in OS X relies on the velocity engine.

relax. my ibook/800 is doing great.

my desktop is a dual g4/500 and i'm not noticing a slowdown when i go to the ibook.

maka

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2002
Madrid (Spain)
You can find new test of the ibook vs tibook vs dual 1ghz g4 here...

What I don't understand is why the ibook 800 is slower at some tasks than the 700... Specially with the game tests, the difference in the 3D card should make it faster (I would think) And with disk related tasks it's a bit unsettleing...

Also, where can you find the ibook hack for the external monitor? This can be a big buying factor for me :)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by maka

What I don't understand is why the ibook 800 is slower at some tasks than the 700... Specially with the game tests, the difference in the 3D card should make it faster (I would think) And with disk related tasks it's a bit unsettleing...

Also, where can you find the ibook hack for the external monitor? This can be a big buying factor for me :)

It's going to test slower at games tests. It was probably a 14" so therefore the games were ran at a larger screen size and performed slower. These test sites are notorious for not testing equally take them with a huge pinch of salt. Also from the tests I would conclude that the new 800 has a slower hard drive. I know this is the case with the new TiBooks maybe it's also the case with the iBooks.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002

It's going to test slower at games tests. It was probably a 14" so therefore the games were ran at a larger screen size and performed slower.

The native resolution of the 12.1" iBooks screen and the 14" iBooks screen is identical IIRC (1024x768) therefore it should make no difference to benchmarks, the pixels are bigger on the 14" screen, that's all (nothing to do with the video acceleration hardware whatsoever.)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Chryx

The native resolution of the 12.1" iBooks screen and the 14" iBooks screen is identical IIRC (1024x768) therefore it should make no difference to benchmarks, the pixels are bigger on the 14" screen, that's all (nothing to do with the video acceleration hardware whatsoever.)

Well what kind of bull**** is that? I can't believe I've never noticed that. What joke. Who the hell would want the 14" then unless your blind as a bat. Sometimes Apple does some really wacked out things.:eek: :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.