G3 Wallstreet/PDQ; infinite life?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by F14CRAZY, Apr 15, 2005.

1. F14CRAZY macrumors newbie

Mar 10, 2005
    Two years ago I bought a used 1998 PowerBook G3 PDQ. 14.1'' screen, 300 mhz, 320 megs o' RAM, 8 gig HD, two batteries, DVD drive...

And that thing is still going. It isn't fast but it still gets the job done for browsing, AIM, and word processing. It's running Panther with Xpostfacto. Soon after I got it I bought a "as new" 20 gig Travelstar to replace the 8 gig (which also made it a lot quieter)

Sure, a screen hinge blew, but they weren't that difficult to replace. The Apple branded lithium ions still provide a respectable charge. USB, Firewire, and Orinoco Wifi cards help it keep up. Thank Apple for having two PC card slots.

Sure, there isn't any graphics acceleration or DVD playback, and over half the ports on the machine are not used by OS X, but oh well. And it weighs around 8 pounds :rolleyes:

This is Apple quality right here. No electrical malfunctions or much as far as physical damage, being lugged around to school every day.

I wish I could have bought one of these new (poster on the wall says they started at $2299 and this one was loaded).
  2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    Apple products are certainly a quality piece of kit. Not like a cheap and chearful PC World computer!