G3s all gone

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by gambit, Mar 16, 2002.

1. gambit macrumors member

Are you guys:confused: the iMac is now a G4 all that needs to change is the iBook and all Mac are gonna be G4 and then they will anounce the G5 (maybe at the same Keynote!) Hope you are :)

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

3. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I just felt like I should post something here. I'm not sure exactly WHAT to post, so this is it.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: G3s all gone

I think that the G3 still has plenty of life in it. If I am not wrong, Apple wants to use the high-end 1000MHz G3 in something. Since no other Apple products are using the G3, eventually, the iBook will have the 1000MHz G3 in it, probably in 2003.

Besides, I still think that the iBook will continue with the G3 for a long while. Take a look at what I posted from another forum.

Bill Gates: All you need to upload pictures from your camera is a fast PC and some boring software.

KC: Well I have a Mac, and the software I use operates in OS 10. Does that make me better than you?

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I personally don't see a G4 iBook coming in the near future. The Powerbook needs to move to a G5 first otherwise both laptops will be aimed at the same market. Think about this...

The fastest Ti Book right now is a 667MHz G4...the fastest iBook is a 600MHz G3. Now even if Apple was to put a G4 in an iBook they could not go any less then a 600MHz G4 because it would look goofy as hell if they went from a 600MHz to like a 450MHz iBook. Even if the G4 at that speed would be faster...it would look terrible to a marketing guys eyes. They need to move the speed up of the Powerbook before they consider making the iBook a G4.

The difference I believe, is that the iMac is an all-in-one consumer computer where the G4 Powermac is a professional tower. The iBook and Powerbook are both laptops...one is just bigger then the other one. Does anyone see what I am saying here???

6. GigaWire macrumors 6502

C'mon! The G3 is comparable to the Pentium 2, and the G4 to the pentium 3. Both need to go. Apple needs a rabbit, and a 1 gHz G3 sure as hell isn't it.

And if you think this, then kiss Apple goodbye, because a G3 platform anything in 2003, 2004 is just pathetic.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

The iBook was not meant to compete...

The iBook was supposed to be for educational purposes (video for 500MHz iBook). Apple wants to support the educational market, while still providing those who lack the need for a G4 with a simple portable computer.

Apple's competition comes with the Powerbook G4, which better have an update at Tokyo.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

G4 iBook

I don't think we'll see a G4 iBook for quite a while, because Apple's never had low-end high-end difference in the portable side. At least not to the point of different generation processors. I don't think they'll go back to single-gen options in laptops. Personaly, I think Apple needs to offer outdated computers for 300 to 400 dollars. Isn't eMachines selling a computer for that?? I would just like to be able to get an Apple computer for really cheap as a second Machine for doing word processing or something while my G4 crunches FCP 3 and Ray Dream Studio renditions.

9. ilikeiBook macrumors regular

ilikeiBook

Re: G3s all gone

They will make G5 powermacs and powerbooks hopefully at MWNY or maybe MWSF 2003, and then the iBook G4. But if they were released at the same keynote, the iBook, I think, would be released first.

10. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

IBM G3

IBM is getting very good speeds form the G3 and will continue to use it in products for a while. As long as Moto is able to up the MHz on the chips, I don't see why it couldn't stay in low-end product lines for quite some time.

Also, Apple needs more product differentiation. Its not as bad as it used to be (try picking from 10 different computers all with similar processors--not so easy) but it could be even better than it is now.

The iBook could have a high-end G3 (maybe a top level iBook with a G4), the TiBook a high-end G4, maybe offer a notebook G5 when they get that "mobilized". Give their consumer desktop line higher-end G4 (iMac), and their pro-line G5's accross the board. Maybe even offer a few low end towers with higher-end G4's.

Something for everybody.

And for your information, if Motorola got off their rears both the G3 and G4 could be the processors that Apple claims them to be. They are very nice processors with a lot of potential life, even in the age of P4s and G5s.

Matthew

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Kiss my a$$... First Apple puts the G3 against the pee3... AND the G4 is still roastin pee4's. You STILL find peecee's with the crappy (being very kind) celeron processor in use.

Before you start opening your mouth, and inserting something, here is the chart from the MHz myth page...

Attached Files:

12. GigaWire macrumors 6502

if apple wants to retain its 5% nation of apple users from here to infinity, then continuing to update dated processors, as they've done for 6 years now, is the key. If apple plans on expanding into greater market appeal, they need something that looks fast by simple numbers, not by explanation. Unfotunately, with Jobs and his bmw of the computer market mentality, Apple will wallow in this measly 5 % and be satisfied. I think the only way we'll see a major push towards market expansion and technological growth is if Apple can get rid of Jobs and find a no- BS processor maker that focuses on developing just that. death to G3!

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

whats the standard market share for an average company... say compaq, gateway or microsoft?

please help me out with this ...being that questioned this on another post but it got over looked.

14. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Are you talking about the same Apple that was selling 450MHz G3 Blue & White towers right next to 350MHz G4 towers? That Apple?

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Man, what are you on??? I would MUCH rather see able keep the 5% share (or whatever it is at the moment) and put out a QUALITY product then to try and grab more numbers and have quality suffer. They would need to open up more plants, among other things in order to supply the market with more systems.

As for Jobs... he brought Apple back from the brink. I guess you don't remember how bad it was before he returned, but I do.

Of course, you are assuming that the board of directors at Apple are not satisfied with their market share, and Jobs performance. Put down the ganja and sober up.

As for processors, today's G3 has little to do with the original ones, other then in name, and no Altivec implimentation. IBM makes a great one, while moto is focusing more on the G4 chips. I do agree that moto needs to get off it's a$$ and start pumping up the speeds of the G4, and get the G5 out there already.

Switching to a different maker for their chips would not be an overnight deal for Apple. It is also possible that the same issues will crop up later when another speed wall is reached. I believe that moto has pattented the Altivec core, which gives it control over who is able to use it in chips. Why else do you think IBM was trying to come up with it's own version???

Don't just look at raw numbers, most Mac people don't. We are a more educated consumer base that knows that a chip maker can claim that they are producing any speed they feel like. Just take a look at both intel and AMD... intel chips are notorious for being listed at speeds higher then they actually are, and by more then a couple of MHz too. I have seen many an AMD processor listed as being one speed, only to clock out higher (with NO modifications/overclocking at all).

One other thing. While other computer makers are stuggling, straining, and trying to merge to survive, Apple is maintaining it's customer base. While I wouldn't mind a few % market share increase, it won't happen overnight. No matter who is in charge at Apple. Apple was the only maker to actually open retail locations last year, while others were closing.

Apple is here to stay, weather it is with a 5% market share, 3% or 25% it is not going away. Now if we can just get the people that are constantly saying that Apple is going under to shut the F up... that would be better then getting more market numbers. :D

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

flame on....flame on

u just gotta love seeing 'em lay it down old school old their @sses...

17. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Relax, fella.

18. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Too hot to type

Turn down the flames, my hands are burning!

Get rid of Jobs?!?!? Yeah great idea, lets go back to Gil and friends. Do you even remember the days of the 6x00, 7x00, 8x00 and System 7? I had more crashes than a dog has fleas.

That is the era where most of Apple's market share was lost. Jobs has only helped the Macintosh platform. Instead of whining you should be writing him letters of thanks. Without him, Apple might very well be dead (and would not have existed in the first place).

Matthew

19. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I hate to disrupt this flame session but can somebody please answer my question. Once this is done Ill shut the hell up about this.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Don't know, don't care either, does anyone else in here??? Didn't think so.

I am sure that you can find it online, if you really want to.

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Guess I left the flamethrower on... oops.. that was in ref. to you asking about peecee company market share... Search online, I am sure there are resources that will tell you. Take some screen shots to back the numbers up.

HP and Compaq both suck (and not in the good way either). Gateway has some cow thing and dell, well should just be in hell. As for m$... don't you keep up with the news at ALL????? Come ON! I am NOT going to post what they have, since you should know that one.

Man, that thrower has a hair trigger today... LMAO

22. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Damn!!! Ouch. Im getting burned here without asking for it. I think I lost my hair on that one. Cant really warn someone to wear asbestos gear when they are not expecting a flame thrown at um. Granted it was a mis directed flame Im still hurrting. MEwewharthhh ooh!

Okay... I looked online but still havent found umm.. I see different numbers for microcrap.

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

WARNING!!!! NO MORE MISDIRECTED FLAMES. please. i cant afford another one. its too hot here in texas in the first place.

24. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Flame retardant clothing on!

Ok, first< I just got my new iMac and its great, Jobs is right on target.
    This is the ultimate consumer machine, there is no doubt.
    This has got to bring in the numbers for Apple!

Sadly they are shooting themselves in the legs.
    With manufacturing problems, meeting demands and customer service.

Apple sent me an email asking me if I wanted to cancel my iMac purchase
    3 days before i got it!
    Whats that all about?

As for speed, well this is a 700 imac and its not uhh speedy but it IS solid. thou you can forget about running Lime wire in osx, its crap!
    It does the job and gives me a user experience that any person that wants to jump from the Wintel ship would find enjoyable.

YET~ when i get on my Wintel box for work, its a shock what speed does to the mind!
    Sure the OS makes me wince and my eyes weep!
    So, the exposure is short and i return to the imac for health reasons.
    But the memory of speed is lasting and makes me pose a questioning look at the imac when it chokes on UI redraws.

What the hell. the need for speed is real.
    It will come, the question is when and will we wait and what will be lost in the process. The potential of a greater market share is here and real, if the timing isnt flubbed and lost forever!

25. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter