Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Painted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2003
Does anyone know (for sure) if the G4 1.25GHz single processor system has an empty slot for another processor or is it really a single processor mobo?

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
its not really a slot

The processor board snaps onto the mobo. On the proc board is either one or two g4s. There isn't any difference in size.

$†®åH¬

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2003
Toronto
Who makes this upgrade?

Apple has priced them to move. Is this too good to be true?

I know 3 people who have had problems with their mirror doored 1.25's, not just noise, but enough to talk me out of buying one.

What is the verdict?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by $†®åH¬
Who makes this upgrade?

Apple has priced them to move. Is this too good to be true?

I know 3 people who have had problems with their mirror doored 1.25's, not just noise, but enough to talk me out of buying one.

What is the verdict?

Nice name. :)

Anyway, there are upgrade cards out there.

They are able to upgrade this processor, but it doesn't tale up any extra room.

It is a slot, it fits.

Painted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2003
Originally posted by Mblazened
its not really a slot

The processor board snaps onto the mobo. On the proc board is either one or two g4s. There isn't any difference in size.

Thanks. Mblazened. So you are saying buying a single processor system is the same as buying a dual - minus exactly one processor that could then be added later?

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
Well, you would do it like this:

go to a mac store and have them order you a dual 1.25 proc board ($600-$700). You have to install yourself, or get a buddy.

Sell your old processor on ebay (?) for about $350-$400, if you can.

You cant just order another single processor, there is only one "slot". You have to replace the old single with a new dual.

But its perfectly possible.

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
Originally posted by $†®åH¬

I see a lot of MDD's coming in with processor and motherboard problems. Often the refurbished apple parts i give them end up failing too, and they have to come back. Still an okay machine.

I'm not sure if the new G5's a upgradable in the way i've described in above posts.

PowerBook User

macrumors regular
May 29, 2003
I see a lot of MDD's coming in with processor and motherboard problems. Often the refurbished apple parts i give them end up failing too, and they have to come back. Still an okay machine.

I'm not sure if the new G5's a upgradable in the way i've described in above posts.
Is that why Apple decreased the price so much on the G4's? I haven't heard of this problem before (not that that means much, though).

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
I've been considering purchasing one as well, and this does make me wonder. I spoke with an Apple tech guy the other day and he said that the noise issue had been corrected.
I'm thinking more and more that the 1.6 G5 is the way to go for me. I thought the G4 was supposed to be a pretty solid machine. After all, it was Apple's top of the line....sometimes going cheaper isn't worth it in the long run.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Dualie Board for Free--In 10 Easy Steps!

Well, you would do it like this:

go to a mac store and have them order you a dual 1.25 proc board ($600-$700). You have to install yourself, or get a buddy.

Sell your old processor on ebay (?) for about $350-$400, if you can.

You cant just order another single processor, there is only one "slot". You have to replace the old single with a new dual.

But its perfectly possible.

Or you follow these easy steps:

1) Remove the single proc board from your system.
2) Walk over to the house of a friend who has a dualie 1.25 GHz G4 as he's getting ready to go out urgently (a date will do just fine; bonus points if you set him up on it). Remember to carry along your single proc board and a cd-rw with an important-looking document on it.
3) Ask him if you can use his computer to finish up some work while he's out. Yours is not working of course. Flash the cd-rw to make it all look genuine. Then flash a smile, if your teeth are not yellow.
4) Tell his date she's looking lovely--She will be, since she's saving you hundreds of dollars.
5) When he leaves, open up his system. Take out the dual board and replace it with the single board.
6) Close everything up.
7) Insert your cd-rw and transfer your important-looking document onto his hard disk so that it looks like you were doing legitimate work.
8) Delete the Apple System Profiler to prevent him from worrying too much.
9) Remove your CD-RW from the drive, take your new dualie board, leave the house, and lock it. After all, you wouldn't want your friend's computer to get stolen.
10) Go home and install the board.

That was "Single to Dual in 10 Easy Steps." Thanks for tuning in.

Disclaimer: Information above was provided for entertainment purposes only. themadchemist does not accept liability for the misuse of above information. This document is in no way to be interpreted as an endorsement of deception, theft, or the deletion of the Apple System Profiler, expressed or implied, on the part of themadchemist. Use with caution. Batteries not included. Stir, don't shake. Wax on, wax off.

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
Re: Dualie Board for Free--In 10 Easy Steps!

Originally posted by themadchemist

8) Delete the Apple System Profiler to prevent him from worrying too much.

then you might as well take some RAM too!

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
After going back and forth for weeks, I finally put in my order for the single 1.25 G4 yesterday with the Apple store. I had the opportunity to play around with one this past weekend, as well as a 1.6 G5 which was right across the aisle. I swear, the 1.25 held it's own (granted, the 1.6 only had the stock 256 MB RAM and that definitely made a difference...I had tried a 1.6 G5 out previously with 768 MB and it clipped along). I will definitely throw in at least 512 MB more RAM for starters and it will be good to go.
Bottom line: Good enough for me and my needs and I saved $500.00 (and this includes adding the superdrive which brought it up a couple hundred).
Now if I can just justify keeping my trusty iBook as well....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.