G4 1.33 vs. G5 1.8 or PB G4 vs. iMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

I know, I know, wait and see what it looks like, and I will. But...I was just wondering what the noticable speed differences would be between a G4 1.33 and a G5 1.8. A new computer is going to be coming to my house soon, but I still am having problems deciding. I would like something that will last me atleast 3 to 4 years and I will mainly be using it for internet, iMovie, iDVD, Photoshop, Office, iTunes, and a few games like nascar or Sim City (I'm not a huge gamer I just like some fun every now and then). Do you think that the G4 wouldn't last as long as I would like? Would I notice huge speed differences? I know the 12 in. Powerbooks aren't 64 bit or whatever, but will it still work smoothly with Tiger? What else should I think about.

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Desktops always have the longest shelf life. However, they are also not portable, and when they finally cram a G5 in a Powerbook, you'll probably be thinking, "damn, my desktop is huge and I can get the same power in a laptop."

However, that won't be for a while. The G4 is getting old now... it's been around for quite some time, and it's architecture is getting somewhat archaic compared to newer machines. The system bus really inhibits the processor in terms of performance as compared to the G5.

That said, the G4 is still a solid computer. I've got a G4 laptop, and for everything you had mentioned (with the exception of games), it runs just fine. Now, if you don't think your expectations will change of your computer in the next 3-4 years, then go with the G4.

But, in terms of longevity, the newer the better, and the longer lasting. The nice thing about newer computers is that you'll be able to do more of what you want, should your expectations change. If you decide you like gaming, you'll have a much more capable and powerful machine that will give you better results.

So in the end, the better questions is, is it worth it to save a few bucks now and buy a machine that will get older quickly... or spend more and get a machine that will last longer?

For me, I've found that time and time again... the cheaper I am and the less willing to spend... the more disappointed I am in the end.

But that's just me.

3. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

The cheapness is not really the factor. I assume that the iMac that I would pick out would cost about the same as a PBG4 with a superdrive. But, what I'm trying to figure out is which one will be a good computer for me. If I go with the iMac I'll have to stick with my iBook G3 500 until it dies for work (yes, I have to provide my own work computer). If I went with the Power Book then I would have a good computer for work now...but will it last long? Ahhhhhhh....this is killing me!!

4. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Not as long as a brand new, recently introduced computer.