G4 17/1GHz iMac value?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ScottCFrancis, Jun 18, 2004.

1. ScottCFrancis macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2003
    I've got a 17" G4 1GHz iMac I'm considering selling. I'm trying to determine an appropriate price for it.

Can anyone offer either pricing ideas and/or let me know the best place(s) to determine the value of my iMac? Are there any used Mac valuation calculators out there?

Here's a summary of the specs; except for the RAM upgrade this is a stock machine (see http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/specs/imac_fp/L25934A_EN.pdf for detailed specs).

Order number: M8935LL/A
    17" flat panel
    G4 1GHz
    80GB Ultra ATA/100; 7200 rpm
    SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    768 MB RAM (upgraded from 256)
    Panther (upgraded when Panther was released)
    iLife 04

Note that this machine has Panther and iLife 04. Condition is excellent.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Scott Francis
  2. melonloco51 macrumors newbie

Jan 6, 2004
    imac 17" value

check on ebay for both current listings and completed transactions
  3. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    about the RAM upgrade...

there are two memory slots in the iMac: one accessible and one non-accessible.

if you BTOed the non-accessible to be more than the stock, you may want to mention that because that will increase the max. RAM value -> better price.

apple's refurb with a year warranty, 1.25 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 80 GB HD and SD (also panther and iLife) sells for $1500 (plus tax) at apple.com. so i'd think you could get around $1200+ for yours?
  4. DevilBoy macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2004
    I would ignore whatever is on eBay. Most of the Mac sellers there seriously bloat the price of the Macs they sell. Heck, there are a ton of eMac 700Mhz on there with prices reaching $700 to $900!! The base model new ones only sell for $800. I would check the refurb section of the Apple Store for a better estimate.
  5. veedubdrew macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just sold my 17" iMac G4 three weeks ago for $1350 on ebay. Specs as follows:

800 MHz
    80 GB HDD
    2x SuperDrive
    768 RAM
    AirPort Card
    OS X 10.3
    iLife '04
    AppleCare 3-year service plan with 1.5 years left

I started my auction at $1.00 with an $1150 reserve and put "buy it now" as $1350, which is obviously what happened. I wish that I had put the buy it now a little higher ;-)