G4 17" Powerbook or Intel PowerMac 17"?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chanwaiming3, May 15, 2006.

1. chanwaiming3 macrumors newbie

I need a new laptop desperately and want a 17"... Should i get a G4 or the new Intel? I heard that I should till second generation comes out.

If I should get a G4, should I get it used or brand new?

Thanks

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Assuming that you need a laptop, not a desktop, I guess its not "Intel PowerMac 17"" but "MacBook Pro 17 inch", right? ;)

As for the question itself, could you be more specific about what will you use this computer for?

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Well, I don't know about the 17s, but the 15 inch MBP had some fairly widespread teething problems. The 17 is the first revision of that model to use an intel design, so it could have some issues as well. I am still using a 15" Powerbook, but I would not buy another since Apple has decided to switch over to Intel. There is one caveat, if you use stuff from Adobe extensively, then you might want to get a Powerbook, as it is going to be a while before their stuff is universal binary.

4. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Till now it seems that the 17" has fewer problems compared to 15" MBP. But then the fact is that there are way fewer 17" than 15". If you have the money to buy a 17" MBP; Then My advice would be to wait for a couple of weeks and get the response from the 17" owners. You`ll pretty soon have an idea wether it has as much trouble as the 15". I dont think you`d get a 17" PB very cheap. even a used one will cost quite a lot. So go for intel one only if there arent too many -ve reviews bout it.

5. chanwaiming3 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro versus Powerbook G4

Thanks for the help. I am comparing laptops; the names are starting to get me confused... should i get 17 Macbook Pro or 17 G4 Powerbook?

I do some webpublishing (Dreamweaver)... but mostly online applications and mail, messenger, skype, Firefox (4 tabs running) and occasionally Adobe Photoshop

G4 will run me about $1800 - $2000... Shoudl I just spend the extra $800 and get an Intel or should I wait?

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Get G4. It's more than enought for your needs and you'll save 800$ :)