G4 2GHz or G4 1.33 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by maxvamp, Sep 16, 2004.

1. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

All,

I have a G4 DA 733, ( 300 GB of storage / Radeon 9800 128 / Dual Superdrives ) that I have been thinking about upgrading to a Powerlogix Dual G4 / 1.33.

I just looked at the G5 / 2 GHz ( Base system ), and I am having a tough time choosing between the upgrade or a new machine ( with my dev discount $2k ).

Question... Have there been enough bad issues to warrent someone **not** to buy the dual 2.0 GHz G5 at this point?

Max.

2. unixkid macrumors member

I just got a 2.5ghz PowerMac and its as close to perfect as a computer gets. It will be about 2 times faster than ur current system so its definantly worth the money!

What do u need it for?

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-maxvamp

I upgraded my Quicksilver 733 to a dual 1.33 by PowerLogix three months ago - very easy and works well. Holds its own quite well and Halo is a breeze (the Radeon 9800 Pro helps tho'). Just watch that heat. You are jamming many times the heat production into a box not designed for that kind of ventilation, so it is very sensitive to heat - and keep it dust free as often as you can - same reasons.
    As for the PMG5, that's up to you, but personally, I upgraded my QS to wait for the dual 3ghz G5 or even a G6.