G4 400 to G4 733

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by neilrobinson, Nov 12, 2004.

1. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

i need a little advice on a problem,

I currently run the mac in my sig, it is becoming a little slow with the work i am doing, photoshop, illustrator, indesign, quark, corel draw, ect, all usually open at once.

will a G4 733 (i will fill it with ram) improve the matters of speed? it has a 17" LCD with it. how much roughly would be a good price to buy it? in $AU i would be putting my 120gig hd, dvd burner ect in it. (it also has a dual head video card :D mmm back to 2 monitors again...)

and how much would i expect to sell my G4 Sawtooth for? $AU i would guess about the $500 mark?

any other suggestions / comments? :(

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Beware there are two kinds of G4 733mhz out there,
    the Quicksilver with only 256k L2 cache and NO L3
    and the Digital Audio 733 with 256k L2 and 1024k L3
    The digital audio is MUCH a better machine, even if the QS is newer and often costs more..

The DA version will be a nice upgrade from a Sawtooth, but remember don't pay too much. A new 17" iMac costs $1299....

3. neilrobinson thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm, its a quicksilver. that is interesting RE:L3 cache, the seller wants $1550 with the 17" Apple LCD. is it worth it? or am i better saving for G5 powermac?

it doesn't sit right with me having an iMac or eMac, i like the tower models mainly for expansion and well i use to be a PC user.

4. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

I Understand that Macs in Australia Command a disproportionate Premium in Price in Comparison to here in America. However I think you would be much better served looking for a Used G5 PowerMac. Going from a 400Mhz G4 to a 733Mhz one is a decent Jump but within a year or so you will probably find the 733 to be inadequate as well might make sense to save a little more and Pickup a Used G5.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

You are better off saving for a refurb/used 1.6GHz PowerMac G5. What exactly is it that you need to upgrade? The iMacs really only lack AGP/PCI and you have to ask yourself do you really need that?

6. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I agree with you. Apple Australia have always been like that, and I know many people who are happy to go along with that. I personally am not. I have been over your way, and have bought my PowerBook and my PowerMac, both of which were about 2/3rd of the comparative Australian Price.

I am coming to Hawaii in about a fortnight and plan to purchase an Airport Express and an Airport Extreme, both for home, and maybe a iPod mini for the wife. :eek: .

7. neilrobinson thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for all the replies guys. good advice as usual.