G4 400 tower - Tiger Installation problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigbillyboy, Dec 30, 2005.

1. bigbillyboy macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2005
    I just picked up Tiger to finally update the 9.2.2 OS on my old G4 Tower. It's been a good computer and Is great for internet, etc. The problem is that When I try to boot it up from the disk, everything looks great, the grey screen with the apple comes up and the thing spins at the bottom. After about 2 minutes, a warning screen pops up in every language and says:

"you need to restart your computer, hold the power button in or press the reset key"

No matter how many times I obey and restart, this warning keeps popping up. If I try to start up the install from 9.2, then is says it can't because it can't set the disk as startup volume. If I set it manually as the startup volume, then it repeats problem #1.

What's the problem? Am I out $80.00?

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    This could possibly be a lack of RAM as Tiger fails to install if you have less that 512mb RAM i think, it may be 256mb actually i cannot remember....

Anyway if you have sufficient RAM try and re-boot with the Tiger disk in the drive,(make sure your drive is bootable as i have found only pioneer seem to be if you are using 3rd party) and hold C all should be fine if it gets to the Tiger installation screen, and do a clean install to wipe that nasty 9.2.2 OS off:p ,