G4 500Mhz AGP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wirelessguy, Oct 7, 2005.

1. wirelessguy macrumors newbie

I currently own a G4 500Mhz AGP model. I am thinking about getting another Mac. I use both my Mac and PC for web and print. I have found myself using my PC more because of the slow speed on the Mac. I am trying to stay as cheap as possible. Should I go with Mac-Mini. I have external firewire and USB hard drives and DVD Burners. So internal expansion is not a big deal for me. I was thinking about buying another processor for the Mac. But have never really been sure about 3rd party upgrades. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. 100plus1 macrumors newbie

mac mini should be a nice increase in speed from a 500mhz, only problem with mini is cracking that bad boy open to upgrade the ram.

3. wirelessguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been working on Macs Since the days of the Mac 512k. I have seen diagrams of opening the case up, so that should not be a problem. It will be around tax season when i do upgrade so there may be some new Mac minis out by then. I never jump into any machine without first watching then machine forat lerast 4 months. Thanks guys.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

A processor upgrade is of course another option. Take a look at the machine in my sig, it scores higher than a 1.25ghz mini on nearly every test in xbench. It certainly tears the mini up in disk performance. :D

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

buy a mini and turn the G4 500 into a bit torrent machine like I did. Mine is a B&W buts its upgraded to a G4 500.

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

what is your HD score? my mini gets a 48 in xbench 1.2 and a 97 in xbench 1.1.3. this is with an external fw though. I just use my mini's internal drive for photos and music. don't even have an os on it.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

For $300 you can get a 1.4GHz processor upgrade from Other World Computing. They are very reliable and should make your computer run as fast or faster than a Mini for $200+ less. Plus, your Mac can be upgraded with faster hard drives than the Mini.

I recommend upgrading the G4 tower instead of getting a Mini.

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

Xbench 1.2 hard drive score is 68.42

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, go with OWC. If anything happens to the machine, you can part it out and use the money for a new mini. You might consider a better video card too. eBay is great for that if you don't want to spend full price on what OWC has.