G4 533 / Installing OSX / CD-RW only

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by virtual.rx, Mar 12, 2007.

1. virtual.rx macrumors newbie

Is there any reasonable way to install 10.4 on a 533 g4 with only a CD-RW drive?

I switched the drive to a Samsung DVD-ROM and OSX recognizes it ok but when i boot from the drive I get a message full of errors and a kernel panic like message to restart.

In the error messages I was able to understand that there was no suppoert for PowerMac 3,4

Any ideas?

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

OS X.3 (Panther) was on CDs, get a (Legal) copy of that and use it. Tiger is compatible with your machine, so it sounds like the DVD drive isnt or you have a bad version of Tiger and id return it.

3. iGav macrumors G3

Regarding the Samsung DVD-ROM I thought you had to have an Apple "approved" drive to be able to boot from it and not a 3rd party one?

But yeah... you can get OS X 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 all on CD install discs, not sure on Tiger though.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I don't think so. I changed the one in my eMac and it booted off it fine (Not Apple 'approved')

Also, I'm fairly sure Tiger was DVD only. It's maybe worth contacting Apple though to see if you can purchase a CD version.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Getting a system to "recognize" a DVD drive and getting it to boot from it are 2 totally different things, unfortunately :(

Have you tried installing Patchburn ? It adds burn & boot support for ALOT of drives that would otherwise be unusable. look on versiontracker ........

you can also check over at www.xlr8yourmac.com for the database of users reports, search it to see if you can find a compatibility report for your drive.......

6. Angrist macrumors 6502

If you've got another mac handy (or can borrow one), then put the install DVD into the second mac, boot the G4 into firewire target disk mode (connect the two computers via a firewire cable), and install.

I've personally used this method to install Tiger on an old PowerMac, and G3 iBook. You CAN get CD versions of Tiger from apple if you request them ... but it does cost extra.

7. virtual.rx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys!

The firewire target disk worked but i still got the message:

PowerMac 3,4 not supported.

I'm using the OSX disc that came with my macbook btw.

8. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

That disk will only work with a macbook. You need to purchase retail tiger disks in order to install it on the powermac.

9. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Indeed: If you had a PowerBook install disc there wouldn't be a problem. Two things with this scenario: You will need a PowerPC install disc (Yours is for an Intel processor). Secondly: Find a legal copy.

If you are looking for Mac-bootable DVD burners, there are some over at OtherWorldComputing for around $30.

Getting a cheap drive and a cheap install would be better than buying a CD set like that found here.

10. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

you can get tiger on CD, but it is a complicated process. You have to buy a full retail version of tiger, send it in to apple along with $10 (i think) and they will send you a CD version of tiger.