G4/733 and PAPST Fans

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Windowlicker, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

I got tired of my G4/733 Quicksilver's noise. I know it's not close to the noise the MDD's used to make, but it's still too irritating.

So, I'm concidering changing the case fan and possibly the processor fan to papst fans. I just have no idea what the voltage should be, how much they put air through and so on..

I was thinking about 4412FGL & 612FGL models.

PAPST 4412FGL:
    Size:*120 x 120 x 25mm
    Airflow:*55.3CFM
    Noise:*26dB
    Revolutions.:*1600rpm
    Power:*1.25W
    Bearing:*Sintec-slide

PAPST 612FL
    Size:*60 x 60 x 15mm
    Airflow:*11.2CFM
    Noise:*16dB
    Revolutions.:*2650rpm
    Power:*0.4W
    Bearing:*Sintec-slide

(oh and these are just my translations)

Now, if someone has any knowledge upon the matter, please tell me what to do.

2. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

I'd avoid the 60mm fan. Get an 80mm fan with an 80mm to 60mm adaptor. A low power 80mm will get you more cfm while still being quiet. See if you can get 30+ cfm as 11.6cfm seems a bit weak for a processor fan.

The 16dBA rating on that 60mm doesn't mean anything if you have the 120mm in there making all the noise as well. So for the processor fan you can afford to go up to 25dBA (for reference 26dBA+25dBA = about 28dBA)

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I swapped out my 120mm fan for a papst, it did help the noise somewhat.. but now, I can hear the CPU fan, Radeon fan, PSU, and the onboard CPU fan even more.. for $40 USD, it wasn't that much of a help.

I also swapped out the 60 CPU intake fan, that helped ALOT, but I could still hear all the other ones..

4. Windowlicker thread starter macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

how do i get the 80mm fan fit to the rubber thingy that holds the 60mm now??

also I'm not willing to spend too much money on the project (no more than 50€).. hmm, wonder if this is worth it.

doesn't that make the cpu run too hot?? :Q I don't wanna risk anything by this operation.. that's why I wanna be sure about things before I do them.

also I don't get too much any else noise than the fans and the two HDs I have inside (and the dvdr when it's on of course) and I don't have a fan on the nvidia mx2.. do you think adding some rubber next to the screws that hold the HDs would make em quieter?? the sound wouldn't go through the whole metal body. don't think so because they only make quite high noise so it doesn't really spread the way bass does..

how 'bout the case fan?? what cfm should it have?? what does cfm mean anyway (i know it means the air mass it puts through, but from what words does it come from?)

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Nope, the fan i replaced it with had a 2 cfm higher rating, and 1db lower rating, in the medium setting. Except that the new fan had a higher pitched whirl, it was a bit softer in sound. If you pop the CPU fan out, get the model number and google it, it should be a Sunon (mine was).. you can go to your favorite site that sells case fans and find something to your liking.
    *edit: Note: the 4412 fan may not have enough CFM as the original. I actually have the 4312 variofan. It gets hot in my room, and southern california in general, so the higher cfm was a must.

There's a few more areas where you'd get noise... the metal frame that holds the 120mm fan can become slightly loose and rattle.. i put gaskets on that one. I've blocked off the vents to the outer left side bezel, and modified the 120mm fan frame for better airflow as well.

The PSU exhaust grill can be cut (not the outer plastic bezel), like many QS owners i know have done. I've cut most of the grills on the front of the PSU (where the Optical drive ends) for better airflow as well. The PSU fan can also be replaced, a friend did that, very slight decrease in noise. This is dangerous, please use caution around the PSU.

Hard drives usually dont make too much noise, not that I've noticed at least. You could try isolating each component one by one, and see if it helps, but after the 3 fans, the only thing that really makes any noticable noise is the hard drives spinning.

if you haven't already, there's some case mod articles on www.xlr8yourmac.com .. check those out and you'll see some of the things others have done.

6. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

CFM = cubic foot per minute, it measures airflow

You can put rubber grommets on the hard disk to cut vibration, that will help a little.

To fit an 80mm fan you need a fan adaptor. i used to have one made by Vantec on my PC, they cost only a few bucks at any place catering to overclockers.

As for case fan CFm, it depends on what you have inside the box, if you have a really hot vid card, 4 hard disks, poor ventilation etc then you will need more. But at a guess, I would say the Papst 120mm you picked out is ok.